Can anyone identify this fossil?

SylviaB12

My mother accumulated some fossils during her teaching career in Louisiana.  At one point...probably 50 years ago....they were sent to LSU to be identified.  Over the years, some of the labels have been lost and I've recently gotten the identification of most.  But this one is still "up for grabs"...the original label said "annelid?"  Any help would be appreciated....I'd like to get them appropriately displayed....for some reason someone thought it was a good idea to glue them onto styrofoam.

20220211_111228.jpg

20220211_111243.jpg

It's a miracle it hasn't gotten lost over the years......I've moved eight times and it made many trips to my sons' classes for "show and tell".

1 hour ago, SylviaB12 said:

Roger....my grandmother was born in a town called Neiderbeider in the early 1900's....

Hmm, probably the spelling is not correct. I have also searched for different variants - Neiderbeider is nowhere to be found (could it be Niederbayern - Lower Bavaria)? But it could also be an old part of the village that was incorporated and is now "forgotten".

Thomas

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

It looks like a tube worm, but crossed my mind the possibility of gastropods, something in the line of Vermicularia.

I think, I can see septa in the internal side of the tube. 

20220211_111228.jpg.e106a1a40525d7876847666fe4ae9a23.thumb.jpg.01985d9b09374ffddf3443aaf70e1699.jpg

5b07237c68a9a_Figure1.thumb.jpg.bb28ec9f726954d615552b0be181f218.jpg.f7e23510b863ff7666b19ef548066a35.jpg

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Roger....pretty sure that was the spelling on my father's birth certificate where it asks for mother's birthplace.  I think that town was pretty much destroyed during the war....

1 hour ago, oilshale said:

Hmm, probably the spelling is not correct. I have also searched for different variants - Neiderbeider is nowhere to be found (could it be Niederbayern - Lower Bavaria)? But it could also be an old part of the village that was incorporated and is now "forgotten".

Thomas

When searching I did find Niederbieber.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Not Niederbipp....she was definitely German!  My grandfather brought her back after WWI....my dad spoke German as a child.

Then it could very well be Niederbieber in Rhineland-Palatinate. Good work Top Trilo. Sylvia, you have some crinoid bits, corals and what appears to be either another tube worm or part of a gastropod among the other fossils.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

13 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

When searching I did find Niederbieber.

Good job Top Trilo!  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niederbieber_(Palaeolithic_site)
Niederbieber is an important Paläolithic Site.

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

2 hours ago, SylviaB12 said:

Someone from another fossil site said that what you are saying looks like another tube worm was a crinoid stem?

This is what I meant, and that's certainly not a crinoid stem. But like I said, it may also be part of a gastropod, and now that I've studied it again, I would say more than likely.

20220211_154750.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Question related to the first specimen:

Tube worms have septation in their tubes?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

You guys have been so helpful with my "little" fossils.  I can't wait to get them displayed. 

And now....I have these....have no idea where they came from or what they are...although some do look like bones.  I can do single pics if anyone wants me too...

20220213_122137.jpg

20220213_122025.jpg

The grey one looks like tuff, to me.

Closer picture might be possible?

Edited by abyssunder

Thomas Mann

My Library

These are crinoid pluricolumnals (stem fragments).

imageedit_1_7245196549.jpg.54b708798ca951cb918d7e4c4554ba77.jpg

Thomas Mann

My Library