Lance formation teeth

Lydia.K.Tyree

These are photos of an unidentified tooth from the lance formation in Wyoming, it was put in a group of mammal teeth all approximately in the range of 2-4 mm in size. Among the teeth two of them have been identified as shark, one is a Lissodus and the other is unknown as of now. If there are any ideas as to what this tooth could be please do share.

HRS9057(1).jpg

HRS9057(2).jpg

HRS9057(3).jpg

Do you images showing the entire specimen from standard angles?

@MarcoSr

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

the second one is looking at the rootless base of the tooth.  But can we see the whole tooth from sides and straight onto the chewing surface?  Ihave seen thousands of Lance Fm teeth and this one looks unfamiliar, at least with these shots. 

Edited by jpc

Tim_Photo_Diagram_003.thumb.jpg

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Do you images showing the entire specimen from standard angles?  The texture reminds me of a shark tooth

@MarcoSr

I can't open the two new pictures, and I just can't tell much from the original pictures.  The crown texture in the original pictures reminds me of a shark tooth, like Acrodus or Polyacrodus.  But I definitely need better pictures.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

this is very weird for the Lance.  I want to say a multituberculate (mammal) tooth, but it has too many grooves.  I may have to look into this...in my spare time. 

Here is one more tooth that has not been identified, however, we do know it is a shark tooth. A Lissodus tooth has already been identified but I do not think that is what this is. These are also not standard angle pictures and I do not have constant access to the 3D camera, so I will take more when I can.

hrs9065(3.jpg

hrs9065(2).jpg

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

Sorry I miss wrote it meant Lonchidion.  Old age.

@jpc

I know you knew better, but it is always fun when I get to correct you.  : )

hehehehe

• Enjoyed 1