Peace River Bones

TourmalineGuy

Will the ever generous fossil forum grant me another wish and give me some advice on the following fossils?

I know they're not all identifiable (probably #2 and maybe #3), but I do have some questions.

These are all from the Peace River of Florida, so they can be Miocene Marine or Miocene-Pleistocene Land. Or at least that's the most likely, who knows, #1 looks suspiciously like a trilobite... :P (<---this means I'm just kidding)

Onto the fossils:

#1: I am posting this one because both sides have a ring on them, its in pretty bad shape. I thought at first it may be a vertebra, but it doesn't look like any I know or have seen. Plus, the disk-shaped sides aren't nearly as regular as most vertebra. Any ideas out there?

post-2423-12687867630579_thumb.jpg

#2: This is almost certainly an osteoderm or scute, but I don't have great references and I can't figure out exactly to what... The pattern looks a lot like turtle shell, but I haven't seen a piece quite like this.

post-2423-12687868127287_thumb.jpg

#3: This little bone is half complete. It is very flattened towards the broken end.

post-2423-12687868186517_thumb.jpg

#4: A hollow bone! Is this a bird bone? I know plenty other fossilized bones can be hollow too... perhaps some insight into telling the differences in your average, half-destroyed fossil?

post-2423-12687868280575_thumb.jpg

Well that's it, enjoy the fossils. I'll probably have another batch in a couple weeks as I weed through my Peace River scraps.

Always thankful,

Roddy

#2 is a turtle shell piece #4 is a bird bone lol I cheated and looked at dads bones and turtle shells

#4 may be hollow, but it is rather sturdy for bird.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree that #2 is turtle, looks like one of the points of the carapace where a vertebral process was attached.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Yeah, the turtle piece just seemed odd. Its not symmetrical like the other pieces I have with vertebra attached, nor does the attachment look like a vertebra as in my others.

Looking at this image:

TurtleSkeleton01.jpg

I can see a few spots that would make sense, so thanks!

Does anyone have anything to say for the other two? I'm particular curious if the little bone looks familiar to anyone.

Roddy

Yeah, the turtle piece just seemed odd. Its not symmetrical like the other pieces I have with vertebra attached, nor does the attachment look like a vertebra as in my others.

Looking at this image:

TurtleSkeleton01.jpg

I can see a few spots that would make sense, so thanks!

Does anyone have anything to say for the other two? I'm particular curious if the little bone looks familiar to anyone.

Roddy

I don't recognize either of the other two, Roddy.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

#1 has dished-out side morphology that is reminiscent to me of the structure of an astragalus. not enough there to really say that, but i'm just thinking out loud. #3 looks turtley to me in the morphology. number last seems like it's got the shape of say a deer metapodial diaphysis. don't know. hopefully you take wild guesses under advisement.

Thanks for taking a look Harry and Tracer,

And, yes, I take your wild guesses under advisement. But, I do appreciate them; wild guesses provide a great starting point for further research.

And, now that I compare #1 to my deer astragalus, it matches fairly closely, if properly oriented, to one half of it. Although it is roughly 50% larger in the dimensions, so its might be part of a camel/llama astragalus... Even that might be puts my inquisitive soul partially at rest. Thanks for the wild guess.

Roddy

Archived