Why are hadrosaur/triceratops tooth so hard to buy now

Raptor9468

Please do not leave online shop names in the comments, dm me if you want 

I have tried to find teeth of these two species for more than a year yet they never appear,used to see them online everywhere,is there something going on with the fossil quarries?

Are you trying to find full, rooted teeth, or spitters?

• Thank You 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I'll preface this all by saying the following is purely my speculation.  I think it maybe due to multiple.things changing over the past 2 years due to covid.  Travel restrictions would have kept some people from going to the ranches that you can pay to dig.  Some people who who would have gone may have had financial issues for various reasons and couldn't afford to drop a couple grand to dig for a week.  It also could be since it seems to be an increase of people looking for new hobbies that the demand for fossils especially ones of well known species has gone up so they end up selling shortly after being listed.  I'm sure there probably is other reasons I am missing but.these are probably contributing to it.  

• I found this Informative 1

that seems to be it,since covid started those fossils became really hard to get

Edited by Raptor9468

Interesting but I do not believe anything has changed.   We are in winter in most of the dinosaur fossil areas where these teeth come from so thats the major factor currently hampering collecting.  Covid did not stop local diggers from collecting in their remote areas but I'm sure it did impact some collectors from going but I went twice last year.  A South Dakota company that provides dig adventures was booked.   Local diggers who provide most of what you see online are still very active and Im not aware of any that stopped.  The Tucson show showed that.  

Not sure why you are not seeing any, possibly online sellers are focusing on higher return fossils and spitters are just not on top of that list.  Be patient and Im sure Ceratopsian spitters will be available. 

• I found this Informative 1

On 2/14/2022 at 7:40 PM, Raptor9468 said:

Alright ill wait for spring and keep checking, thanks for the help everyone

Hi there ! I am not sure why you can not find it . DM me i can help you .

Guns

• Thank You 1

Maybe some will be coming for sale soon, I saw a Facebook post from a seller who has apparently got a supply of 500 Triceratops teeth in from Tucson.

So, perhaps other sellers and dealers got a batch in so more may soon be coming up for sale. 

• Thank You 1