Possible Mosasaur Vertebra Found in Montgomery, Alabama

Chodge613

I always forget if it is crocodile or mosasaur that has the round  vertebrae on one side.:headscratch:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

It isn't mosasaur.  Looks more like an eroded mammal vertebra...maybe horse.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Possible Mosasaur Vertebra Found in Montgomery, Alabama

I had three paleontologists, one from Kansas and now two from Alabama, tell me this is a mosasaur vertebrae after I uploaded to this forum. If it’s mammal, I’d ask what Pleistocene mammal did it come from?

Edited by Chodge613

I would look closely at eroded horse lumbar vertebrae.

• I Agree 1

What about it makes it not a mosasaur vertebrae? I found it in Cretaceous/Pleistocene mix. I just need help seeing horse.

Just checked back in...I can see why it might look like a mosasaur to some.  But, the interior bone is too spongy, and the large foramen is uncharacteristic of mosasaur.  

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 2

Yup, I fully agree with @JohnJ. While both crocodilians and mosasaurs have procoelous vertebrae that would superficially match the morphology of this specimen, considering the state it's in, I don't believe either of them has these kinds of foramina, subventral keeling or the waisting seen here. Horse vertebrae can look deceptively similar, so I'd say that considering how spongy the bone is, horse is probably the most likely culprit. See also the thread below:

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett