Chromium Petrified Wood?!?!

VTinNorthAB

Hey all! I haven’t posted in a long time but I was too excited about this.  I absolutely love petrified wood.  I love the colours, the rings, the detail! 

My wonderful husband bought me this AMAZING piece of petrified wood from a local rock shop.  I took it home, gave it a bath and a good scrub.  It’s green!  Now I've heard about the chromium petrified wood from Arizona but I have NO idea where this one came from.  It’s super heavy at 25.7lbs!!  

I absolutely adore this piece and even if it isn’t chromium wood, it’s definitely stunning! 

234679C5-4920-4B7C-84F8-57B767156C45.jpeg

DFC34450-955D-4B3A-A58D-51B04B902C2A.jpeg

2A171258-3ED0-406A-BF28-BEDCDB2D67BC.jpeg

85326628-CE98-42F6-B6D3-82FD2834282B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

Beautiful piece but you will need very strong shelve to display this one. You mentioned Arizona but I have a small polished slice from Oregon  and hues do seam to look very similar apart from the green. 

9C48CABF-0192-4F40-A200-4775825295C6.jpeg

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • I Agree 1

7 hours ago, VTinNorthAB said:

Hey all! I haven’t posted in a long time but I was too excited about this.  I absolutely love petrified wood.  I love the colours, the rings, the detail! 

My wonderful husband bought me this AMAZING piece of petrified wood from a local rock shop.  I took it home, gave it a bath and a good scrub.  It’s green!  Now I've heard about the chromium petrified wood from Arizona but I have NO idea where this one came from.  It’s super heavy at 25.7lbs!!  

I absolutely adore this piece and even if it isn’t chromium wood, it’s definitely stunning! 

234679C5-4920-4B7C-84F8-57B767156C45.jpeg

DFC34450-955D-4B3A-A58D-51B04B902C2A.jpeg

2A171258-3ED0-406A-BF28-BEDCDB2D67BC.jpeg

85326628-CE98-42F6-B6D3-82FD2834282B.jpeg

sweet piece of pet wood!  

I have seen similar offered from Oregon and Indonesia.  You could start your search there

• I Agree 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

It's a very nice gift.

• I Agree 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Hi, interesting looking specimen. I can't tell for sure but the 'brown' tinted areas almost look like agates (chalcedony/quartz). Would it be possible to see a better focused zoom into the area circled in red? Green coloration due to presence of chlorite possible? I see darker areas tending towards black which might suggest the possibility of high iron content...that might help to explain the weight.

zoom.thumb.png.5737f7f230131379312363adb399142c.png

46 minutes ago, Kato said:

Hi, interesting looking specimen. I can't tell for sure but the 'brown' tinted areas almost look like agates (chalcedony/quartz). Would it be possible to see a better focused zoom into the area circled in red? Green coloration due to presence of chlorite possible? I see darker areas tending towards black which might suggest the possibility of high iron content...that might help to explain the weight.

zoom.thumb.png.5737f7f230131379312363adb399142c.png

Hope this is better focused 

25E38262-32B9-4E36-8E9A-FB4B39620648.jpeg

Nice zoom!  I was wondering, if you have time and the desire, to post a pic of the bottom of this one (so we might see some 'end grain')....or perhaps it is already posted as one of the other pics?

618576667_seethebottom.thumb.jpeg.6f52654acba50520b28fc75c63555d40.jpeg

Edited by Kato
may have already been posted

23 minutes ago, Kato said:

Nice zoom!  I was wondering, if you have time and the desire, to post a pic of the bottom of this one (so we might see some 'end grain')....or perhaps it is already posted as one of the other pics?

618576667_seethebottom.thumb.jpeg.6f52654acba50520b28fc75c63555d40.jpeg

I appreciate all the help! In my original post, the first 2 photos were the ends.  The other two were front and back. If you need more detailed let me know :).

7 hours ago, VTinNorthAB said:

Is there a way to test and see what it could be containing?

Hopefully a more qualified person will reply but I'm still of the belief this is primarily a silicate based preservation with the coloration due to minerals in its preservation environment. 

FWIW, here's a link that may prove helpful. It discusses coloration and mineralization. It's most likely the colors are primarily due to traces of iron but the possibility exists for chlorite, copper, etc. The article shows green coloration specimens from the Pacific NW. Too bad the rock shop didn't have some generalized location of discovery. That would be helpful in discovery.

https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3263/6/2/25/htm

Chromium bearing specimens tend to be more 'apple' green. I think you've probably already googled Arizona petrified specimens. You could also google 'fuchsite' to get an idea of the coloration. Fuchsite is a chromium bearing mica schist (metamorphic) rock...but the coloration in the specimens I have is strikingly similar to that of the chromium bearing preservations of Arizona.

• Thank You 1

So I looked up the petrified wood from Hampton Butte and read that it usually has a higher content of iron and copper (which would explain the weight).  I looked up photos and it looks more like that than chromium wood. :)

On 2/18/2022 at 8:13 AM, VTinNorthAB said:

So I looked up the petrified wood from Hampton Butte and read that it usually has a higher content of iron and copper (which would explain the weight).  I looked up photos and it looks more like that than chromium wood. :)

Should you post in the future please put down as much geographic and geologic information you might know about specimens. Your specimen definitely seems to match to Hampton Butte.

On 2/20/2022 at 10:31 AM, Kato said:

Should you post in the future please put down as much geographic and geologic information you might know about specimens. Your specimen definitely seems to match to Hampton Butte.

Yep usually I have lots of geographical info.  Unfortunately, this piece the shop had acquired in an estate sale and had no info attached.  I’m tempted to take it to the geology/earth sciences department at the Uni and see what they think :)  

Contact Walton Wright, a petrified wood expert from Brea, California. Probably contact him through his club: Northern Orange County Gem and Mineral Society.

http://www.nocgms.com/show/nocshow04/wright/wright.htm

• Thank You 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.