Large dinosaur spine section, Spinosaurus?

K12P34

Hello,
recently I have found a quite interesting dinosaur spine section. The seller claims that this is: Museum Quality Spinosaurus Dinosaur Spinal Section with Huge Vertebrae and Rare partial spines 
55 Million Years Old  Measures 12.5" x 10.5" inches.

What do you think about the fossil?

Best regards

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

S3.jpg

S4.jpg

S5.jpg

I'm not sure about the fossil, but their time is wrong. Spinosaurus lived about 100 million years ago, not 55

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

Also, on the break on the far left, it looks like plaster, or something that is not bone. Bone wouldn't be just white and solid like that thing is.

Not Spinosaurus and vertebrae look like they have been composited.

Do you have a locality...at 55myo its the Ouled Abdoun Basin not Kem Kem

I asked the seller for more detailed information and any document confirming authenticity. He replied: "We do not have time to make those up.
We Sell way too many fossils for that". He did not tell anything about locality. In my opinion this fossil looks like marine creature bones. Maybe Elasmosaurus...?

No absolutely not. Not from a spinosaurid of any kind.

Wrong age, wrong location, wrong shape.

This looks like typical phosphate beds material from Morocco. From the Maastrichtian and also a bit after the Kk/pg boundary. It's much too young to have any spinosaurids there.

This looks like croc verts.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

38 minutes ago, Troodon said:

This is fill and continues all the way down the column

1645116963574.jpg.b8de364c13224f4c2af7854b882e0558.jpg

I think that's just a trick of the light and shape of the matrix. These verts are quite tightly articulated. And I don't see any obvious reconstructing on the verts themselves. So I don't think any funny business is going on here.

• I Agree 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

3 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

I think that's just a trick of the light and shape of the matrix. These verts are quite tightly articulated. And I don't see any obvious reconstructing on the verts themselves. So I don't think any funny business is going on here.

I agree, this piece looks well enough to me. The only funny business going on here is the seller trying to pass this off as spinosaurid. First one, as has been said, the date wouldn't match, and the material, moreover, is obviously from the phosphates. But with the processes jutting down from the vertebral bodies like that, I'd say this is crocodilian, possibly some sort of dyrosaurid. Compare with the crocodilian vertebra below. The date given also fits well with this interpretation, as it matches the Ypresian stage of the Eocene epoch. No dinosaurs, mosasaurs or plesiosaurs around any more around that time :)

dyrosaurid_vertebra_01.jpg.e3fe14012a3ebe71659a89cc4de8a8c3.jpgdyrosaurid_vertebra_02.jpg.2fbecf4703190bcb61fd90b4b2e10432.jpg

1 hour ago, K12P34 said:

I asked the seller for more detailed information and any document confirming authenticity. He replied: "We do not have time to make those up.
We Sell way too many fossils for that". He did not tell anything about locality.

This is a real big red flag, by the way. Not that a Certificate of Authenticity is worth a dime, but the fact that they don't even want to bother with providing you with one, and don't provide you with locality information should be a good warning.

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I would walk in the other direction if they can't tell you more information about locality with the reasoning being "they don't have time".  Seems like a red flag to me.  I won't speak as to the quality of what the seller sells as its against forum rules but a quick search does show someone in a very similar outfit with a very similar table selling a few croc looking skulls.

• I Agree 2

*Frank*

Not wanting to take the time would tell me that they are not particularly interested in the customer. If it were me, I'd be more than happy to walk away. 

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Offer them 1/10 of what they're asking. If they don't accept, walk away.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Offer them 1/10 of what they're asking. If they don't accept, walk away.

cuz you don;t have the time to round up enough money

• Enjoyed 2
  • I Agree 1

22 hours ago, Nanotyrannus35 said:

Also, on the break on the far left, it looks like plaster, or something that is not bone. Bone wouldn't be just white and solid like that thing is.

I have to disagree about the whiteness here discounting bone. Plenty of fossil bone is white and this is probably whiter inside because the bone surfaces have likely been coated with consolidant. As for it's "solidness" (maybe you meant something like non-sponginess?), I don't think that can be determined from these photos, but it also another thing that would not necessarily rule out bone.

• I Agree 1

23 hours ago, Nanotyrannus35 said:

Actually, I find that a lot of bone from the phosphates consists of a clear bright white consolidated but textured mass. My guess is this has to do with gypsum being the replacement mineral of these fossils, since this wouldn't crystallize as neatly as metals or calcite would.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

4 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Actually, I find that a lot of bone from the phosphates consists of a clear bright white consolidated but textured mass. My guess is this has to do with gypsum being the replacement mineral of these fossils, since this wouldn't crystallize as neatly as metals or calcite would.

Ok, I'd just thought that the white stuff was plaster. I'm not super familiar with the phosphate material.

• Enjoyed 1

3 minutes ago, Nanotyrannus35 said:

Ok, I'd just thought that the white stuff was plaster. I'm not super familiar with the phosphate material.

You're forgiven for thinking that. It does look deceptively similar ;)

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • Thank You 1

• 1 month later...

dyrosaurus sp cervicals vertebrae originals very commun in couche 2 thanetian.

• I found this Informative 2

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...