Trilobite Prep Question

Fossil Fen

Hello Forum,

I've been working on some beginner Trilobites I've been able to buy from a local Rock Store. Most are not in a good state of preservation but are fun to work on and learn. The bug below has a waxy coating on it and I'm wondering if someone can tell me what that is, and also the best way to clean it off. I scribed down to the shell with an air tool, and now I'm just using a pin vise to scrap away as much as I can. Is this the best approach?

20220217_121834.jpg

The waxy coating could very well be just that. Some kind of wax finish or lacquer which the previous owner applied. Acetone would probably remove it. If you don't have an air abrader, then what you are doing is probably the best approach.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

You could also try submerging it in hot water, if you can, and then remove the coating manually with a towel. Sometimes heat can loosen up adhesives/waxes. You should also keep in mind that consolidates/adhesives may have been previously used to make the specimen more stable and being too aggressive with the solvents could compromise that.