Potential Pterosaur tooth

Huntlyfossils

Hello all I found this tooth in cretaceous marine material in NW Queensland.

This tooth is extremely fragile and had a bit of a disaster during the prep of the tooth as it basically exploded into 6 bits which was extremely disappointing.

I was able to repair it however as you can see this was not done perfectly.

I did at first assume this was fish however i noted the root structure did not appear to be fish.

There was an example of a very similar tooth found in NW Queensland that was ID as Pterosaur which is why I think this is what it maybe, if anyone else has some feedback that would be great, I have attached some photos of this to this post.

Cheers Lloydpterosaur_tooth2.thumb.jpg.63f6c6330fc789a27ae534c0f0ad8429.jpg

pterosaur_tooth3.thumb.jpg.635ef131af5e4c6d950e4820033d06bc.jpg

pterosaur_tooth4.thumb.jpg.f25d2144f08ed87973ae56b0656adea2.jpg

pterosaur_tooth5.thumb.jpg.1f0bdf20f5b91a7ed16277483d0e7367.jpg

Example found in NW Queenland in the past

828232379_11571810-3x2-940x627(2).jpg.4c5e27b93e834f4f7528e02bc8274965.jpg

pterosaur.thumb.JPG.4ef95b141788de4dc19d9f63f2e113a4.JPG

Not sure what it is, but nice!

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

There is a paper here about pterosaur teeth from Aus.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316676093_Isolated_teeth_of_Anhangueria_Pterosauria_Pterodactyloidea_from_the_Lower_Cretaceous_of_Lightning_Ridge_New_South_Wales_Australia

Sci-Hub is failing to crack it for me, but maybe someone here has access?

Edited by FF7_Yuffie

I managed to get pictures of the teeth from the paper. Scale bar equals 10 mm.

fig-4-1x.jpg

fig-3-1x.jpg

Edited by FF7_Yuffie

9 minutes ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

I managed to get pictures of the teeth from the paper. Scale bar equals 10 mm.

fig-4-1x.jpg

fig-3-1x.jpg

Thanks for that the fossils from lightning ridge are amazing 

33 minutes ago, Huntlyfossils said:

Thanks for that the fossils from lightning ridge are amazing 

Yes, I would love some fossils from there.

Is it the same formation as NW Queensland? Or same age? I do not know anything about Austrlia fossils and dinoaurs.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

There is a paper here about pterosaur teeth from Aus.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316676093_Isolated_teeth_of_Anhangueria_Pterosauria_Pterodactyloidea_from_the_Lower_Cretaceous_of_Lightning_Ridge_New_South_Wales_Australia

Sci-Hub is failing to crack it for me, but maybe someone here has access?

I downloaded the PDF file?  Is that what you wanted? 

Brougham_Smith_Bell_2017_IsolatedteethofAnhangueriaPterosauria.pdf

• Thank You 1

Tricky one, this... However, I believe most fish, except for some predatory ones, have teeth that are attached directly to their jaws. Thus, having a root would suggest one of these uncommon (I believe) predatory fish or, otherwise, reptile. With the tooth moreover being flattened like that, and having striations near the base of the tooth while lacking the acrodin cap typical of fish teeth, I'd certainly lean towards pterosaur. @msantix, however, might know more. As an Australian with an interest in pterosaurs, this topic seems right up his alley ;)

If it is a fish tooth, however, @Fossildude19 may have some insights :)

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Sorry, I've got nothing here.

Fish teeth aren't really my forté, and I am not well versed in Australian fish fossils.  :shrug:

• Thank You 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yeah I agree with Pachy that it does seem much more like a Pterosaur tooth than a fish tooth. I could be wrong however, but the striations all around the base of the tooth plus the general shape certainly make me believe it is Pterosaur. Hope some others can chip in with their thoughts. Very nice find!

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 2

17 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

Yes, I would love some fossils from there.

Is it the same formation as NW Queensland? Or same age? I do not know anything about Austrlia fossils and dinoaurs.

They are of similar age different formations but deposited in a similar environment on the edge of a ancient inland sea called the eromanga sea https://www.abc.net.au/science/ozfossil/ageofreptiles/eromanga/default.htm lightning ridge was close to or on the coast of the old sea ,richmond where this was found was further from the old coast.

22 hours ago, msantix said:

Yeah I agree with Pachy that it does seem much more like a Pterosaur tooth than a fish tooth. I could be wrong however, but the striations all around the base of the tooth plus the general shape certainly make me believe it is Pterosaur. Hope some others can chip in with their thoughts. Very nice find!

Thanks for your help i would be very happy if its pterosaur as thats one of the fossils i have been most searching for. There has been other pterosaur fossils found here.