Egg fossil or just a pretty geode? Arizona find

Arizona Jon

Found on Arizona mesa top.  What’s curious is the shell like structure that I have not seen in the many geodes I’ve found around here.  See 3rd and 4th pics for best outer shell view.  Any thoughts from the community?  Thanks

0DB7A67D-74F5-4E99-A900-2B0DB3CFBCE7.jpeg

6836B44A-5E10-4523-AD72-D69342CE418A.jpeg

17C6BEEA-1B64-4570-8340-550A7445881D.jpeg

F8BD08EE-96AC-4EED-8040-B8D5ABE3E475.jpeg

67E7D96D-A672-474B-95E2-40D34589F1F9.jpeg

I agree. Not an egg. Still, it’s a worthy contender for the “cool rock” shelf. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Imagine a shell that thick on an egg. How would the hatchling get out? Jackhammer? That's your first clue that it's not an egg. It's a very interesting geode -- worthy of shelf space!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Welcome to the Forum from Scottsdale.

It looks like chalcedony formed as an amygdule in a volcanic rock. Almond shaped cavities in volcanic rocks such as basalt are filled with many secondary minerals including quartz. Note the almond shape of the shell. I bet the mesa is a basalt flow. Where is the mesa? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdule

• I Agree 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

As @DPS Ammonite stated, chalcedony. May be a geode or may be solid. I've found a ton of those near Lake Pleasant and south of I10 west of Tonopah. If the outer shell is solid enough,  when cut they can be beautiful when polished.