Any identificationfor this Uzbekistan tooth would be helpful - UPDATED NEW PHOTOS

AJ the Tyrant

I came across this tooth recently, but I (nor the seller) can figure out a decent identification for it. It’s an unknown theropod tooth from the Bissekty Formation in Uzbekistan. This is what the seller said about the specimen, “This tooth is much different from other Tyrannosauroid teeth from Bissekty. Less compressed and more rounded with much finer serrations. I believe it may be an undescribed species of theropod.” Is there any way to figure out at least a vague identification for this tooth?

AC004AA5-21F2-40EF-88DF-1B6D7EAAB606.webp ECFA6C29-3CAD-4B84-98FE-B4D51F5FAD12.webp 072D8201-307F-4120-9EA1-AC550A7B303F.webp 1EDDCF06-2DF9-4403-9567-7B4440B05A97.webp 66469C72-BCEF-4EE7-A5EC-1E8D9DB4664F.webp

(Sorry for the messed up files/images; my storage is all used up)

Edited by AJ the Tyrant
  • Enjoyed 1

If it’s from Bissekty, a good potential ID would be Timurlengia. Most of the other theropods from that region were small. However, the tooth you’re showing is indeed quite a more rounded at the base. Timurlengia tend to be more blade like. 

Hopefully someone else is able to help! Lovely tooth. 

Edited by TyrannosaurusRex
More info

I’m not entirely sure. Is there any restoration on it?

There appear to be some ridges on the face of the crown in the second photo, almost like in ceratosaurus teeth. Are these 3D/textured or is the light playing tricks?

@Troodon thoughts?

Edited by Runner64

Like to see additional photos more lighting, crown too dark,

A serrations count both carina midline 5mm wide. 

Like to see a clearer closeup of the distal carina. 

Possibilities include and anterior Ulughbegsaurus or even anterior Timurlengia

Are you sure about the provenance?

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

messaged seller asking for more pictures and if they are completely confident in the collection site

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Seller is 100% confident in provenance, but they won’t be able to provide more pictures until tomorrow night as they are currently out of town.

These are more pictures that the seller just provided me with to help better identify this unknown tooth. I made sure to acquire some much more detailed pictures of the denticles.

2AC1309A-284D-4E50-BAD8-3994AE2C3736.jpeg

752D2ABA-17E0-4D80-821A-EB1D94EA8117.jpeg

D7D0A986-AA4D-48D3-8DAF-C55D9E2A1509.jpeg

324C4DC4-6A83-4A0A-AF1B-1171DB0BEAB5.jpeg

FE03F56E-8E84-4F9C-B659-AEAAA699BC88.jpeg

EFD94016-E7C8-4E02-8600-3ED8E51775FB.jpeg

41681ECE-D76E-488D-B4B1-8F672A1B7FC8.jpeg

13 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks, an accurate serration count is the most important characteristics needed.

new pictures have been posted!

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Where and what about serration count?

will contact seller for serration count soon (sorry i must’ve missed that in your reply yesterday)

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Any identification (vague or not) for this Uzbekistan tooth would be helpful - UPDATED NEW PHOTOS

TOPICS MERGED.

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Any identificationfor this Uzbekistan tooth would be helpful - UPDATED NEW PHOTOS
1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

TOPICS MERGED.

one day i will figure out the many details of posting in this forum 

14 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks, an accurate serration count is the most important characteristics needed.

seller is being very annoying/rude for some reason and won’t provide a serration count; they said the tooth matches what is known for Timurlengia and not other species of the region(which contradicts their previous words)

if they decide to be helpful, i will provide further information

30 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Without that information I cannot help you,   photos are just part of the identification process 

after much convincing, i have the counts

18 per 5mm on mesial (not exactly midline because it’s worn)

20 per 5mm on distal

12 hours ago, Troodon said:

Without that information I cannot help you,   photos are just part of the identification process 

oh by the way, i’ve been meaning to ask: how many teeth examples have you seen that can likely be attributed to Ulughbegasaurus @Troodon

Edited by AJ the Tyrant

Great, that serrations density fits into the Timurlengia range but those described were lateral teeth.   Looking at all the features I would lean toward an anterior Timurlengia although I have not seen any anterior ones published and what the base cross-section looks like.

I've seen a couple of Ulugh.. privately but no teeth were with the holotype so they are still a lot of unknowns which is typical of most of Uzbekistan's theropods

• I found this Informative 2

11 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Great, that serrations density fits into the Timurlengia range but those described were lateral teeth.   Looking at all the features I would lean toward an anterior Timurlengia although I have not seen any anterior ones published and what the base cross-section looks like.

I've seen a couple of Ulugh.. privately but no teeth were with the holotype so they are still a lot of unknowns which is typical of most of Uzbekistan's theropods

I’m eager to find some more rare specimens (not necessarily just Ulugh but also Cerato and others), but it’s proving to be a challenge for sure