Ossicle

Mostly my finds from Hunstanton are readily intelligible, but these are some I'm struggling with.

Red rock: Hunstanton Formation, Cretaceous, Albian Stage

White rock: Ferriby Chalk Formation, Cretaceous, Cenomanian Stage

The first are two mysteries from the Hunstanton Formation. As always, any help is greatly appreciated!

20220221_140519.jpg

20220221_140602.jpg

20220221_140829.jpg

Edited by Ossicle
Embarrassing word misuse

If you have to research, write "Albian" and "Cenomanian" :)

Coco

• Enjoyed 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Thank you! I've edited plus the tags. That's me typing from scribbles in my notebook, and yes, that really won't aid researching!

I've been using Fossils of the Chalk by Smith and Batten for most of the chalk fossils, and I'm less familiar with the Cretaceous chalk, I've only been on a few trips and am just now cataloguing these finds. I'm hoping to make more trips soon.

These few didn't quite fit. I think worm tubes are very likely, they're so varied, although I was wondering if the third image might be some kind of ray plate. It's different from the ray plate shown in the book, though.

I bet it's a serpulid. When I'm stuck, doesn't matter the geologic period, it's usually some kind of serpulid :heartylaugh:.

Edited by Ossicle
  • Enjoyed 1

Let's have a sharp well lit close up of the broken end of #1 please. The first one from the Ferriby looks like a bit of shell. Hopefully some experienced locals will come along and give you qualified answers.

• Thank You 1

Thank you, a portion of shell would very much fit that piece. I get thrown by fragments - once I have a relatively complete piece of something in my collection, I can then usually interpret a more fragmentary version correctly.

Here are close-ups of the broken end of the first fossil. It's not this green in natural light (I'm using a flash and a light on my USB microscope), it's a very dark reddish brown. But the lights could be bringing out the colour more accurately.

20220222_132413.jpg

20220222_133103.jpg

20220222_133038.jpg

2022-02-22-13-26-52.png

20220222_132410.jpg

5 hours ago, Ossicle said:

I'm wondering if the second fossil might be some kind of bivalve hinge. 

mmhh...something along Isognomon sp.?

ciao

• Thank You 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2022 at 7:50 PM, supertramp said:

mmhh...something along Isognomon sp.?

ciao

More likely Inoceramus  sp given the locality and a complete bed, is named The Inoceramus bed, which is packed with comminuted parts of the bivalve.

Thanks

Steve