Do Tadpole shrimp fuel the imagination of trilobite behavior?

Biotalker

I recently watched these short videos on Nostraca tadpole shrimp/ shield shrimp. I'm sure it has been observed a million times before, but I wondered how similar the behavior of these extant critters might be to trilobites, given their convergent anatomy. Eyes on top, mouths on the underside of a shield like head, multiple similar legs/gills along its ventral surface. So to see these crustaceans maneuver, eat and remarkably molt (middle of second video), I just imagine similar behavior from trilobites, those stony motionless objects of our endless fascination.

• Enjoyed 2

• 1 month later...

I find these very interesting.

I was a bit horrified to find that they cannibalize each other if food is lacking.

(Kids had a triops set when they were younger. )

Fascinating creatures, though.  :)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 3/24/2022 at 3:02 PM, Fossildude19 said:

I was a bit horrified to find that they cannibalize each other if food is lacking.

Cannibalism is freaky on one level, but step back and think in much longer time frames, and its really just the species reaching out for life and continued exisitence, by sacrificing a few so the survivors can get Tinder dates and breed again.