Diving trip in Venice, Florida

Parker Brown

Hey guys!

I headed out in Venice, Florida this weekend for the first time ever and went scuba diving for shark teeth. This was my first real trip looking for shark teeth and it was an amazing time. I went for a 3 dive trip but due to weather we only got two of the three dives for the day unfortunately. Although it was cut kinda short I had an amazing trip. I found 7 full Megalodon teeth and 14 frags of Megalodon teeth. My biggest being exactly 4" which I am still ecstatic for finding. I found a handful of other miscellaneous shark teeth and honestly I could of found hundreds and hundreds but I was really focused on finding the megs so I started passing them up as it was kinda hard to pick them up with the gloves I had on. Also pictured I have 3 pieces of Dugong bone and two pieces of whale bone. These bones where everywhere and I just didn't feel like collecting a hundred pounds of Dugong and whale bone. Also with the bones are a few assorted shells that I picked up while I was finding the teeth. 

If you have any cool facts about what I found of any identification for the miscellaneous shark teeth and the shells I found that would be amazing! I know the Sand Tiger teeth and the normal Tiger Shark teeth but I'm not sure what any of the other ones are. I think top right is a broken Hemi but I'm not positive. 

Let me know if you have any questions as I would be happy to answer!

Parker

IMG_7756.jpeg

IMG_7758.jpeg

IMG_7759.jpeg

IMG_7760.jpeg

• Enjoyed 11

Very nice haul! I would also like to know if this was a charter dive. I’ve done a shore dive from there, but only found small teeth. I’m hoping to go again soon and dive from a charter boat 

On 2/22/2022 at 1:06 PM, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Nice!  Which charter?

I went out with Aquanautz. We could rent any gear from them that we did not have and it was a great trip. I highly recommend!

• Thank You 1

4 hours ago, espeton said:

Thanks for the nice report. May I ask you how cold was the water?

Thanks

It was 61 degrees which is freezing here. Most people wore 7mil suits and I wore a 5mil open cell suit and I was only slightly cold.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 4:45 PM, Parker Brown said:

I went out with Aquanautz. We could rent any gear from them that we did not have and it was a great trip. I highly recommend!

I try to go diving with them as frequently as possible. Mike and Blair are awesome and certainly know some of the best spots in Venice. You'll always find something! My first trip with them I found a 5" meg. I love the feeling you get when you're underwater and you find one sticking out, covered in sand! I highly recommend going out with them if anyone is scuba certified and is in the Venice, South Florida area! Fun fact...large meg teeth are actually pretty rare to find in Venice because it was mostly juveniles who hunted off the coast of Florida. They traveled up north towards the Carolinas as they got bigger where they could find larger food sources to support their increasing sizes. 

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

Of the small teeth, you are correct about the hemi, the T shaped ones are lemon shark teeth, the Y shaped ones are sand tiger, and the more triangle shaped ones are bull, all of these smaller shark teeth are pretty common in Florida. Bull and lemon probably make up 50 percent of my collection.

IMG_20220401_183024.jpg