Kem Kem Dromaeosaurid like tooth?

BirdsAreDinosaurs

Since I bought a couple of (very nice) Abelisaurid teeth from Kem Kem, which I initially thought where Dromaeosaurid, I am on the lookout for potential Dromaeosaurid teeth from Kem Kem. I think this tooth (1.9 cm) might be a candidate, but I have been wrong before. What are your thoughts? Should I ask for better pictures of the serrations or a serratiom count? 

208327-44.jpg

208327-43.jpg

There are a couple characteristics that you must consider if you want to call it Dromaeosaurid-like among other general ones.

First and most important is knowing the serration density. Mesial density must be greater than Distal, midline 5mm wide.  The tooth also needs to be very compressed so you need to see a photo of the base.  Generally teeth are very small my guess smaller than 2 cm and recurved.   Some like to say it needs a mesial carina twist but thats not the case with most Dromaeosaurids.

Other taxons may also have some of these characteristics so if Dromaeosaurids are present no guarantee its one.  Need to see what shakes out..lots of unknowns.

Teeth like the one you show might fit a Deltadromeus but who knows.  Buy it if you like it and someday you might get an answer.

Thanks again, Troodon. I actually had those characteristics in mind, but I guess without proper experience/reference that is not yet enough for a proper id. Thanks for the tips, now I again know better what to look for. Still it all remains somewhat vague for me (e.g. some teeth that are described in scientific literature as Dromaeosaurid-like do not seem to have all these characteristics), but I guess that is just the way it is. I will try to continue to educate myself. I b.t.w. do see why you could call this tooth Deltadromeus.

Unfortunately this tooth was sold before I could get additional information. I guess the way forward for me is to try to find and buy a whole range of candidate teeth and see what future discoveries can tell us about these teeth. Sounds like fun to me.

I have no idea what Deltadromeus teeth look like this one just did not seen to fit known families,why I said might.

I dont agree with the assignment of some of the Dromaeosaurids-like teeth in Richter paper specifically those that are not recurved.  Hendrickx in his quadrate paper suggest that these teeth belong to Deltadromeus.  So bottom line is that we know very little,  lots of guesses and will have to wait until something published that describes them.