Question about Moroccan trilobites

fossilhunter21

Hey everyone! So recently I purchased some unprepared Moroccan trilobites. I am having a very hard time preparing them and am making a lot of mistakes. And I was just wondering if these maybe are not the best for practice for a beginner, or is it just me?

Thanks, @fossilhunter21

Moroccan trilobites are among the most challenging in the world to prepare (well), and are not exactly suitable for those just starting out. Hopefully your unprepared ones are more along the lines of the common proetids and phacopids, which can be done fairly with beginner equipment (just do not expect miracles). Anything with spines takes several years of experience.

In my opinion, Moroccan trilobites are not for beginners.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Is the Austerops from Jorf? If so, that is pretty much encased in hard chert, which can be murder on one's tools. 

The Paralejurus is in a very hard matrix I've worked with before. Hopefully you have more than an entry level scribe, and an air abrader; you will be swapping between them quite often as the separation between shell and matrix is not favourable, and so at times it is a process of grain by grain removal. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thank you very much for your response!

The Austerops is from Issoumour, Morocco and the Paralejurus is from Atchana, Morocco.

I am using the Zoic Chicago air scribe with the 2mm tip, and I am guessing that I need something a little more for precision and an air abrader to prepare them well?

Thanks, @fossilhunter21

I have not done any work on Moroccan trilobites, but I have seen plenty of them and worked on all sorts of other fossils, and I agree 100% with Kane.