Lost and Gone Forever :C

JamieLynn

I have discovered the main draw back of Micro Matrix fossil hunting. Accidently tipping over the container you are putting your tiny finds in.   Even though I have wood floors, I was unable to find the tiny perfectly preserved crab claw WITH BOTH PINCERS.  I hope your night is going better than mine.  Pity Party at my house. 

I’ve lost or broken a few micros myself. I think it’s a requirement of the micro hunters club lol

47 minutes ago, fossilsonwheels said:

I’ve lost or broken a few micros myself. I think it’s a requirement of the micro hunters club lol

I'm a member of the club as well. :duh2:

Bummer, Jamie. Been there, done that. I have had some luck using my Rainbow to suck up all the possibles, and then going thru the detritus...

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

59 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

Well at least I have now achieved the next level in Micro fossiling....yay.  hahahha! 

Indeed!  A friend once said of my micro collection, "you are a surprise sneeze away from cursing and tears!"

• Enjoyed 6

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I was putting micros in a dish as I was sifting, left it on couch to get something out of oven and returned to find my dachshund had licked the dish clean.  Now I immediately put them on a peice of tape, which is taped down.

• Enjoyed 4

2 hours ago, Lone Hunter said:

I was putting micros in a dish as I was sifting, left it on couch to get something out of oven and returned to find my dachshund had licked the dish clean.  Now I immediately put them on a peice of tape, which is taped down.

So, did you become a coprolite collector :look: :default_rofl:

6 hours ago, Sjfriend said:

So, did you become a coprolite collector :look: :default_rofl:

Pre-coprolite collector maybe a better term :default_rofl:

Welcome to the club.

when I built my prep lab (first and second), I used single piece linoleum type flooring just for these sorts of events.  No little cracks for micros to fall into, easy sweep-up.  I have still managed to lose some micro-bits. 

• Enjoyed 2

20 hours ago, JamieLynn said:

I have discovered the main draw back of Micro Matrix fossil hunting. Accidently tipping over the container you are putting your tiny finds in.   Even though I have wood floors, I was unable to find the tiny perfectly preserved crab claw WITH BOTH PINCERS.  I hope your night is going better than mine.  Pity Party at my house. 

In such cases I always have a cheap black light lamp at hand. With a little luck the pieces fluoresce under uv light (should be the case with a crab rest).

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

A while ago I was rinsing a bunch of Daysiatid (sting ray) teeth in the sink in a small sieve, and I let it slip from my fingers and all the teeth went down the drain.  Fortunately I was able to remove the elbow (U shaped pipe) below the sink, flush out a whole lot of nasty hair and crud, and recover almost all the teeth.  Now I never rinse without having the plug in the drain.

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

A while ago I was rinsing a bunch of Daysiatid (sting ray) teeth in the sink in a small sieve, and I let it slip from my fingers and all the teeth went down the drain.  Fortunately I was able to remove the elbow (U shaped pipe) below the sink, flush out a whole lot of nasty hair and crud, and recover almost all the teeth.  Now I never rinse without having the plug in the drain.

That crud may have prevented the teeth from washing away. 

You were going to have to clean that pipe eventually..... 

Use your vacuum but take the bag out and with an elastic band attack a sock to the pipe to catch the bits.

Edited by Bobby Rico
  • I found this Informative 1

Out in michigan you can find fish bits, usually clumps with bits of plates or maybe teeth. I found a single vert on the beach and when I got it home and set it on the table to go get my camera i came back to my cat pawing all my finds off the table... the vert is lost somewhere in my old apartment...

Edited by Keichhorn

I know the feeling, while in watchmakers' school we spent a lot of time looking on the desk and on the floor with a fine brush and paper and many times with a magnet. Carpets are a no/no! 

• I Agree 1

Use the vacuum with some panty hose attached to the end and check often

I understand your pain! I have lost a few micros. One time I dropped a container with somewhere around 70 micros onto my carpet, unfortunately I was not able to find all of them. ;)

not to make light of y'all misfortunes, but I guess misery loves company so I am glad to know I'm not the only one!!

But I just found out that the site where I collected this awesome little fossil HAS JUST BEEN CLOSED TO PRIVATE COLLECTING. So insult added to injury. :(