Sharktooth Hill/Ernst Quarry April 2nd and 3rd

AeroMike

Well, I am out here in Mojave, CA for work for the next 6-12+ months and since I cannot dive for fossils like I can back in Florida, I might as well get back to my roots and dig for them again. I am all set to go April 2nd & 3rd. I hope to see/meet any fellow members. I will be in my gray Jeep Grand Cherokee with Florida veteran Plate. 

I will try and document this trip and share it as much as possible.

I figure I would make a list of items to bring, I welcome any and all comments from those that have done this before.

First I will have a large straw hat and sunblock, I may even bring a canopy to put over my work site. I will also have a bandana to cover my mouth from dust, gloves, and safety glasses.

Second, I will have my own rock pick, geo pick, rock hammer, chisels, folding shovel, sifter, bucket, and tinfoil to keep fossils and matrix together.

Finally, I will have plenty of water, a folding chair, & kneepads.

Any STH vets have anything else to add? maybe I might have missed something?

Edited by AeroMike
add gloves

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

I would pack a lunch as well in case you get hungry and the site is remote. Also, if you have time, I recommend visiting the Buena Vista Museum to see what can be found out there: 2018 Chester Ave, Bakersfield, CA 93301. Huell Howser, who is a legend among Californians, also visited the locality with the late Bob Ernst: https://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/2006/11/08/shark-tooth-hill-californias-gold-9012/. Highly recommended viewing.  

Edited by Crusty_Crab
  • I found this Informative 2

29 minutes ago, Crusty_Crab said:

Huell Howser, who is a legend among Californians,

Aww man I miss Huell Howser. His limitless curiosity was an inspiration. 

Cheers,

Brett

Huell’s California Gold and Visiting shows are gems in a desert of shows even though he did call call the paleontological dig at Ernst Quarry an archeological dig.

Here is a link to his videos:

https://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/archives/

I suspect that you can find some more shows about fossils:

https://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/tag/george-c-page-museum-of-la-brea-discoveries/

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Huell’s California Gold and Visiting shows are gems in a desert of shows even though he did call call the paleontological dig at Ernst Quarry an archeological dig.

Here is a link to his videos:

https://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/archives/

I suspect that you can find some more shows about fossils:

https://blogs.chapman.edu/huell-howser-archives/tag/george-c-page-museum-of-la-brea-discoveries/

Absolutely agree. My opinion as to why Huell's programs were valuable in a sea of frankly horrible television: Huell, in his folksy Tennessean manner, discovered the true "California gold" in his adopted home state. If you watch his programs its clear what that is: diversity. California offers diversity in landscapes: Mountains and snow to beaches and surf within a couple of hours. Deserts, marshes, and everything in between, California has some of the most diverse ecosystems in the US. More important was the diversity in people. California has also been known as an immigrant haven as well as being home to diverse native Californians of all races. Any food in the world can be sampled in the state. You can literally meet people from around the world in the state and learn about their cultures. Huell understood that and tried to get other people in the state to recognize the wealth at their fingertips and appreciate what they had. He was wonderfully welcoming of other people and their diverse interests and expressed a desire to learn more about them all. 

• I Agree 1

I recently relocated from California to Florida (where I try to get out diving in Venice at least once every couple of months).  I have been to Ernst Quarries a number of times.  It's been picked over quite a bit but you can still find some treasures... often just walking around and doing a surface hunt - rain exposes quite a few goodies.  If you are interested in micro fossils, I highly suggest that you bring a big bucket and collect some scoops of the material to sift through later.  Also, there's a steep hillside that bumps up to the digging area... it's kind of around a corner near a storage containeer that has the name of the quarry posted on it.  I always take an hour to scramble through there and look closely at any material that slid down the hill from rainstorms.  I almost always find a nice tooth back there that gets overlooked by the regular crowds.  Keep your eyes peeled for dolphin ear bones and tiny dolphin teeth.  Also... tarantulas, scorpions, rattlesnakes, and blue centipedes.  (I think it's a bonus to see them, but it's jarring to find a scorpion in your sifter!)  Finally, someone else mentioned the Buena Vista museum.  I would second that.  It's a great little museum, and they also sell two small pamphlet booklets about the fossils you might find, including micro fossils.  

Please post what you find, I miss getting filthy out there.  And if you have any tips for Florida hunting, I would absolutely love them.  Other than going on charters in Venice I haven't gotten out yet, (like to the bone vally) though I dearly want to.  Good luck, I hope you find a beautiful mako!!