Brackkkn

Evening (morning) everyone! New member here, so be gentle... i have no previous experience or knowledge of fossils but i was out walking the dog the other day and found this strange looking piece of stone or rock but it appears to be made up of two different materials and almost looks as if it has veins or arteries inside... Just looked a little odd, compared to every other stone. 

Any suggestions on what it could have been? Or is it just some rock...

It was found very close to the River Dove in the Midlands (UK). 

N.B... It's around 2" in length and perhaps about an inch in diameter but my measurements could be off! 

Many thanks :)

Chris.

20220226_092023.jpg

20220226_092116.jpg

20220226_092133.jpg

20220226_092154.jpg

20220226_092204.jpg

20220226_092219.jpg

20220226_092225.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Welcome! Neat specimen that I would have picked it up to bring home to examine more closely.

I am not familiar with the geology there but it appears to be non-fossil. I think you are on to something with the arterial/vein look to it. From the look of the pores and those flow like features it reminds me of slag or possibly a volcanic lava type rock. Something that would have been a semi-liquid that flowed and gas bubbles were trapped within as it cooled. Wait for others to give their 2 cents...

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 3

I don't know what you have and it may be geological, however i wonder about spong.  There are a lot  of fossil clubs and museums in the uk so i would look for a local expert.

I am going for somewhat weathered slag at the moment. The round voids are an indicator for slag. Young volcanics are unknown in the Midlands, as far as I know.

Another possibility could be some sort of "mortar" in the widest sense. But this is less probable.

Try to break off a small piece, what does it look like on a freshly brocken surface (be careful, wear googles, splinters could be sharp!)?

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 3

II agree it's a typical piece of industrial slag (typically from iron smelting) showing flow structures and gas bubbles. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Tarquin

Thanks all for your comments everyone! Looks I joined the right group :) I'll keep walking with my eyes peeled too the floor! 

• Enjoyed 2
  • Thank You 1