EliasG

Hello!

I am student of the biological sciences with an intended minor in geology. I have been collecting fossils for a long time, and am excited to join the forum! I just purchased my first "dinosaur" specimen from an annual fossil show. My collection and interest has always been in Paleozoic invertebrates, so my dinosaur knowledge is extremely limited. The seller said the species was of the Dromaeosaurus genus and the origin was from the well known Hell Creek formation, however I took everything he said with a grain of salt. After reading some previous posts on the forum i've seen that it may be from morocco, and henceforth not part of the Dromaeosaurus genus. The length of the tooth is exactly 1/2 an inch in length. I've included some photos below of the exact condition in which it was sold to me.

I know identification from a single tooth can be difficult, so I'm grateful for any information that can be provided on the specimen!

Please let me know if more adequate photos need to be provided, I have several microscopes in my collection that could get a closer view of the serrations.

IMG_3003.JPG

IMG_3004.JPG

Hello and welcome! :trex:

For one Dromaeosaurus has not been described in the HC fauna. The lack of recurvature and the mesial serrations proceeding the full length of the carina (for this position) are atypical for Dromaeosaurids. The preservation also looks more like Kem Kem. To my eye it looks Abelisaurid. For comparison:

1888176840_IMG_0405copy.thumb.jpeg.3195eb6a393a11e9180276a4ad1a8744.jpeg

283044234_IMG_28532.thumb.JPG.f5bcd1e83dcad386e31771b4195e8cad.JPG

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Could very well be an Abelisaurid tooth but can you post a photo of the base and one of the opposite side.  Thanks

Thank you for your fast reply! Ive attached some photos below of the base as well as the other side.

IMG_3005.JPG

IMG_3009.JPG

Thanks just wanted to be sure.  You can see the red matrix from the Kem Kem deposits of Morocco, definitely not found in the HC. 

• Enjoyed 1

Just now, Troodon said:

Thanks just wanted to be sure.  You can see the red matrix from the Kem Kem deposits of Morocco, definitely not found in the HC. 

Thank you so much for sharing you knowledge!