Big Brook, NJ : Coprolite, rock or other?

JoetheJerseyGuy

Ironstone concretion, I think.   :unsure:

I don't see any kind of spiral indicative of coprolite, as usually seen in coprolites from Big Brook.  :headscratch:

@Carl  @frankh8147  @Jeffrey P

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

? Seed cone ?pine or sequoia like. I have collected plenty of concretions  however that kind of repetitive large surface ornamentation is different than i expect in a concretion. And the cones i have seen have often been in ironstone

• I found this Informative 1

41 minutes ago, val horn said:

? Seed cone ?pine or sequoia like. I have collected plenty of concretions  however that kind of repetitive large surface ornamentation is different than i expect in a concretion. And the cones i have seen have often been in ironstone

My thoughts, I have shifted through tons of concretions, some interesting others the usually. The pattern on this item is unusually.

Edited by JoetheJerseyGuy

I suspect that it is a coprolite. Hard to be sure with ones like this, however. I'm not seeing any real indication of a spiral so it's not likely a non-teleost fish if it is a coprolite. The repetitive "segmentation" could suggest that it is a mass of smaller, invertebrate coprolites.

Edited by Carl
  • I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

I wonder if  any of paleobotanists out there have looked at it? @Plantguy @paleoflor.  I am thinking of one of the cones that was not a sequoia that was identified by hollik and Jeffrey’s in nj in the early 1900s.  I can’t find the photos on the web right now.

Appreciate everyone's input thus far.

Edited by JoetheJerseyGuy

As for possible sequoia cone, the ones I've seen that were positively ID'd as such were more rounded overall not elongated. Like 2cm wide x 2.5-3cm ling

22 hours ago, Carl said:

a mass of smaller, invertebrate coprolites.

A crescent moon is the international symbol for outhouse. ;)

• Enjoyed 3

What i was thinking of was not sequoia  but  gientz maybe 

Edited by val horn
Spelling

Lets ask our in-house coprolite expert @GeschWhat what she makes of this... I myself am a bit undecided on this one, with my initial impression being like Tim that this was a bit of ironstone. Now I've taken a better look I'm not so sure any more, as I'd expect the brown particles in the cracks to be more red if the piece was made of iron, whereas, simultaneously, the patterning of the rock seems very consistent...

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett