Finding Shell and coral

Shellseeker

Yes, When I am hunting mammal and shark fossils, sometimes I must dig thru broken shell layer and at the end of such days, my fingers are cut up.. So found an interesting Bivalve and very near it a self standing coral..

The Bivalve is an attention grabber,  and looks like it has been crushed.  I would like ALL viewpoints,  but figure @MikeR and @Cocoshould be flagged.  As I indicated,  I believe I was within the Florida's Chattahoochee Formation.

IMG_4510ce.thumb.jpg.61143923838b54535103d7574298dffb.jpgIMG_4512ce.jpg.ec06bc714905db3df30e298288d68b10.jpgIMG_4513.thumb.JPEG.d510d3840daa1fd001db1752a5781dcf.JPEGCoral_enlarge.JPG.055092dde40681868db4572bc1970ead.JPG

• Enjoyed 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hi,

I can’t help you with identification, but it looks like an oyster. @MikeRwill certainly tell you more.

Coco

Edited by Coco
  • I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Jack,

Off the subject above and sorry for interrupting this thread. But I tried messaging you privately and couldn't. 

It just dawned on me that I didn't check to see whether your fossil club needed fossils for their auction again. Since my winter trip to Florida was put off until April, I thought I'd check in and mail some if needed quickly. If not, I can bring some in April.

Mike

10 hours ago, oyo said:

For the coral; family Faviidae, Solenastrea I think. 

Thank you. Last year,  I found some corals at this same location. In this thread, MikeR identified the piece of coral as

Hi Jack

I got your pm.  The best online resource for corals is the NMITA website LINK.  It is not the easiest to use because it assumes you know a little about coral taxonomy to search in the individual families.  I have been collecting in the coral facies of the Tamiami for the past few years and have forced myself to learn about corals although they are always difficult to identify.

Yours is Siderastrea pliocenica LINK found in both the Tamiami and Caloosahatchee Formations.

Mike

Is it possible that the one from a year ago and the one in this thread are both Genus Siderastrea and look different because they are different Species ?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

18 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

I can’t help you with identification, but it looks like an oyster. @MikeRwill certainly tell you more.

Coco

17 hours ago, RJB said:

Im with Coco.  Looks like oyster.

RB

Yes, thanks to both.. I think you are telling me that this bivalve is from Genus Ostrea. I am wondering what the Species is,, and whether or not that species existed 3 mya in either the Tamiami or Chattahoochee formations.

This bivalve seems very different from fossil oysters that I commonly see in the rivers and creeks of Florida.  It seems polished and a little silicified ,  has been "squashed" but did not break apart. Plus there seems to be many (complimentary ???) protuberances and indentations  It's different appearance to my eye may be just a feature of surviving 2-3 myas.

14 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Jack,

Off the subject above and sorry for interrupting this thread. But I tried messaging you privately and couldn't. 

It just dawned on me that I didn't check to see whether your fossil club needed fossils for their auction again. Since my winter trip to Florida was put off until April, I thought I'd check in and mail some if needed quickly. If not, I can bring some in April.

Mike

Mike,  Send me a message again.  I saw NO PMs since the end of January...  I wonder if I could have inadvertently turned the function off.

I JUST checked with the club Auctioneer..  He said he always appreciates interesting fossil donations for the Auction.  The auction is March 17th !!! Guess you will have to mail...  I'll cover your mailing costs...   Jack

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Is it possible that the one from a year ago and the one in this thread are both Genus Siderastrea and look different because they are different Species ?

No. Not at all same genus, not even the same family.

Hi,

5 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I think you are telling me that this bivalve is from Genus Ostrea.

I suppose there can be several genus of oysters in your levels, I don’t know what genus it is.

Coco

Edited by Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

9 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Send me a message again.

Jack, 

Same results. Here is what shows up:  

• Shellseeker cannot receive messages.

5 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

I suppose there can be several genus of oysters in your levels, I don’t know what genus it is.

Coco

Thank you, Coco.  

It is time for me to reflect on what question I was asking with this Identification request for a seashell.

When I go hunting fossils, I am frequently blessed to find myself surrounded by a great abundance of the remains of marine creatures in the form of shells.. I hardly note what the shells look like as I am seeking for example a large shark tooth or maybe a sloth bone. I imagine that Oysters are exceedingly common species in whatever Age and formation they occur. 

Then I notice one that seems different from the others and wonder if I can identify the age and formation for that species.

I could have been lucky and seen a match among the common oysters of my section of the shell world millions of years ago. SEFloridaOysters.jpg.9909e07991e4b8eddf2889b5f02e7996.jpg

I decided to look at the 3rd one from the end of this photo Ostres sculpturata.  and indeed in the Early Pleistocene, one of its Stratigraphic locations was the Chattahoochee Formation of Southwest Florida. I have seen it many times before and recognize it somewhat.  But it is not the Oyster that I seek to identify here. 

I decided to attempt an identification because I gain new insights by the process even while I only rarely succeed in the identification of a seashell. It is the journey that counts.

SEFloridaOysters2.jpg.e183d3165926f0f8d835261749e16bab.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Address arrived! Will send out tomorrow.

@Fossildude19

Well , I have trouble... right here in river city...

I am blocked from sending any more messages until I delete a bunch of them... Please point me to or walk me thru the process. Thanks Jack

42 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

@Fossildude19

Well , I have trouble... right here in river city...

I am blocked from sending any more messages until I delete a bunch of them... Please point me to or walk me thru the process. Thanks Jack

delete1.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me