Bracklesham Bay Mystery ?Seed/Fruit

BentonlWalters

Hello Everyone,

I went to Bracklesham Bay for the first time yesterday and despite the sand found several ray plates, shark teeth and gastropods but this find stood out. I'm not sure what it is but I'm hoping it might be a seed or fruit. I know that Nipa fruit are occasionally found there. Each box is 5mm. 

Hopefully someone can let me know what it is.

Thank you,

Benton

S20220301_0023.jpg

S20220301_0024.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 3/1/2022 at 7:16 PM, BentonlWalters said:

Hello Everyone,

I went to Bracklesham Bay for the first time yesterday and despite the sand found several ray plates, shark teeth and gastropods but this find stood out. I'm not sure what it is but I'm hoping it might be a seed or fruit. I know that Nipa fruit are occasionally found there. Each box is 5mm. 

Hopefully someone can let me know what it is.

Thank you,

Benton

S20220301_0023.jpg

S20220301_0024.jpg

hi there sorry for the late reply this could very well be a seed but i would need to see more profiles, i hope you consolidated it as these crumble when they dry out! i would love to see your other finds :) 

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2022 at 4:45 PM, will stevenson said:

hi there sorry for the late reply this could very well be a seed but i would need to see more profiles, I hope you consolidated it as these crumble when they dry out! I would love to see your other finds :) 

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this, I dug through the boxes today and found the seed again. I managed to take some better pictures of it and another possible seed that I found on my second trip there back in March. I'd love too hear what you think of them.

The original ?seed, it's pressed flat to about 1mm in thickness, Getting it out of storage today it had degraded some but I have managed to consolidate it with a coat of Paraloid B-72.

Untitled2.thumb.jpg.65817332080cff94b015533b8a3f0bd7.jpg

The second seed find, this one has some dimensionality, approx. 3mm thick, and appears to be compressed from the top and bottom rather than side on like the above one. The crack appeared soon after I got it off the beach but I managed to stabilise it with a coat of thin Paraloid B-72 that same day and the split has not progressed. 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.9fde511b5200e42b91a5f9e7455b67b7.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Benton

I’ve found many of the second type but never one like the first, nice finds ;) I don’t know the species unfortunately 

• I found this Informative 1