33 species of upper Silurian nautiloid cephalopods from a small Austrian occurrence (Eggenfeld-Member, Palaeozoic of Graz)

It took some time, but thanks to Covid-19 (!! - see acknowledgements) its out now:

A Systematic Study of upper Silurian (Ludfordian) Nautiloid Cephalopods from the Eggenfeld Section (Graz Palaeozoic, Styria, Austria) (pdf, external site)

Here is my last visit to that site:

Visiting some of the oldest fossils of Styria, Austria (Silurian orthocerids and brachiopods) - Fossil Hunting Trips - The Fossil Forum

;)Best of all, some of my former specimens are pictured in that paper, especially some polished sections (see acknowledgements);).

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • I found this Informative 9
  • Enjoyed 3
  • Thank You 1

Congratulations! Yes, it seems to have been an almost two year delay on this one, but patience is rewarded. :) 

And kudos on your donation to the Joanneum Musuem. :thumbsu:

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Congratulations, Franz!

(Moved to Partners in Paleontology) :SlapHands:

• Thank You 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

congrats!

• Thank You 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Congrats Franz! 

:yay-smiley-1:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Good stuff, Franz! I think I missed your original thread about that site a few years ago.

Not only is it very productive for such a small site but it seems to have a lot of diversity too.

• Thank You 1

Very cool! Another great example of collecting for the benefit of science.

Cheers.

-Ken

• Thank You 1

43 minutes ago, digit said:

Another great example of collecting for the benefit of science.

Well, my intention was simply to have some specimens from that site :D. And as I like polished specimens, I have also cut and polished quite many. My first visit was 11/11/2014, long after the main collecting sessions of FM from 2000 to 2009.

Later, I heard from FM that they are finally working on the comprehensive description of all the nautiloids from that site. So I loaned him every specimen I had and said, he can take what ever he wants. He took about 1/3 of the specimens, which were later transferred to the museum. The polished slabs proved to be especially helpful.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1