Central Texas Nautiloid

Creek - Don

Hi everyboy.  

I stopped by the road cut near I14 and I35 in Belton, Texas today and found these two nautiloids lying side by side.  Are these Eutrephoceras nautiloids?  I have never found these before.    I looked at geologic map,  and it's showing up as Weno Limestone and PawPaw Formation.   One measures 120 mm and smaller one at 100 mm.  

nautiloid2.jpg

nautiloid.jpg

nautiloid3.jpg

nautiloid4.jpg

nautiloid5.jpg

Edited by Creek - Don

Do you have other fossils from the area to show us? Sometimes “guilt by association” helps with an ID.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

15 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Do you have other fossils from the area to show us? Sometimes “guilt by association” helps with an ID.

I also found this bivalve next to it.  I think I also saw broken piece of small Mortoniceras ammo, but didn't pick up and no photo. 

bivalve.jpg

Edited by Creek - Don

Doesn't really look globose enough to be Eutephoceras. They wouldn't fit the Pawpaw or Weno anyway if the formation is correct. My guess would be something in Cymatoceratidae. Paracymatoceras texanum and Cymatoceras loeblichi are possible options. Cymatoceras hilli is supposed to have less sinuous sutures than your specimens.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Doesn't really look globose enough to be Eutephoceras. They wouldn't fit the Pawpaw or Weno anyway if the formation is correct. My guess would be something in Cymatoceratidae. Paracymatoceras texanum and Cymatoceras loeblichi are possible options. Cymatoceras hilli is supposed to have less sinuous sutures than your specimens.

Nice. Thank you.  Both  Paracymatoceras texanum and Cymatoceras loeblichi  looks to be a genuine match.   Glad that both of these specie survived through K-PG extinction. 

Edited by Creek - Don