Haravex

So, I thought I would share this topic with you all.

This is going to be the beginning of a long thread with any luck. This is the first one I have prepared, coming close to the end.

It's turned out ok. I feel it could be better, While looking at multiple examples, and studying the bone through journals, previously prepped specimens,  and other resources is great.  It's a completely different game, learning to prepare first hand, and the differences in each nodule affecting position and rotation of the bones. 

So a friend of mine contacted me saying he had some unprepared nodules, and me loving a prep challenge, accepted.

Screenshot_20220306-175530_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1dd33b5fe3bf15de90cefc1c91979027.jpg.

Arriving shortly after my trip to the IOW,  (which went well and I will do a report on shortly) this nodule was delivered by the good local postal woman 

1085591745_received_478922957190424(1).thumb.jpeg.a61c841b1af1f99cb521d186e5d4fa21.jpeg

It had already been split to check the contents, and was more of an example piece than a more pristine uncracked nodule

IMG_20220227_132927_161.thumb.jpg.89b60e7e9ad919132b917ce3bf139e08.jpg

20220301_143713.thumb.jpg.7786b55c829179ee5c673c7b8a0b1f2d.jpg

PSX_20220305_230617.thumb.jpg.864070b023b5ceff706824ff85e74dd0.jpg

20220305_230515.thumb.jpg.853fe6854e166e1b9c62e0c0912e7acc.jpg

PSX_20220305_230641.thumb.jpg.299213379e2f3a97f9d2bee11a0d03c9.jpg

And this is the current prep stage I am at. Just exposing more of the vertebrae column and ribs and the fine details, and smoothing out the scribe marks. This work can take some time, as it needs b72 after each new section is exposed, due to how small and fragile the bones are, but when you compare this to how they are normally seen( just split in half with a complete loss of detail)  I think the time is well worth the effort, and once this is finished I can't wait to get started on the next one.

PSX_20220305_230652.thumb.jpg.747268dc4efa4633187a737de448d294.jpg

I hope you all enjoy reading this short prep story and will try and post more of my prep work in the future. (Been slacking on the show and tell part in recent months.) :thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 10

Indeed! Looks very good for a first attempt - and in a sample specimen no less! Can't wait to see how further preps will turn out, a giedroyc shows indeed on ouch tweeted than hmm the run of the mill specimens you typically see :Smiling:

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 3/8/2022 at 10:51 AM, RJB said:

Very interesting!  Love that pile of rocks too!

RB

Thank you all for the kind comments, the creates are full of nodules all containing barasaurus.

9 minutes ago, Haravex said:

The creates are full of nodules all containing barasaurus.

Wow! That is a lot of barasaurus fossils! :o :wub:

Edited by fossilhunter21
  • I Agree 1

Yeah, remember to take a break now and then. This is supposed to be enjoyable, isn't it? You're doing great, it looks terrific so far! 

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thanks if anyone can provide any tips on smoothing out the bulk matrix that would be much appreciated.

44 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Thanks if anyone can provide any tips on smoothing out the bulk matrix that would be much appreciated.

Do you have an air abrasive?  Here is what I used to do... take one of your airscribes and run it all over the surface in tiny tedious little circles then sandblast that surface with dolomite.  I say I used to because I later got a texturing tool from PaleoTools for the Chicago Air Scribe which does the job (tiny circles) with much less effort.

1 hour ago, jpc said:

Do you have an air abrasive?  Here is what I used to do... take one of your airscribes and run it all over the surface in tiny tedious little circles then sandblast that surface with dolomite.  I say I used to because I later got a texturing tool from PaleoTools for the Chicago Air Scribe which does the job (tiny circles) with much less effort.

Is that a tool tip? As I have a Chicago scribe 

17 hours ago, Haravex said:

Is that a tool tip? As I have a Chicago scribe 

yes, if you have a Chicago, PaleoTools makes the Texturing Tip.  It is basically sharpened to four little points rather than one big point.  It is really good for smoothing.  I don't see it on their web site but i am sure if you email them, they will reply.  Not going to comment oh shipping to Europe, though. 

Edited by jpc

Looking good. I can imagine you'd have to take a lot of breaks. That is a lot of little details to be working on.

• I Agree 1