North Texas Hunt

freerangetraveler

Hello all

Apologies in advance for the newbie questions… 

As mentioned, I’m new to Fossil hunting (today was my first trip) and I found a few things I’d like some help identifying (species and possible age).  

I would love to get your thoughts on these finds as well as any helpful tips/tricks for hunting and cleaning fossils..

Cheers!

49D930EA-6E77-4FDA-9970-A2593D95456A.jpeg

BBB8098E-80E2-46AF-A5F9-7571023B7C90.jpeg

4178ADDD-8409-49F5-9680-9F537ADBB935.jpeg

CE7EB124-9A5C-4436-AAC7-5F948731B6B2.jpeg

FCC130A4-7AB9-4F10-A754-C8F78930450F.jpeg

9179DF0F-FE87-4E37-BF17-D8A12B0D55D5.jpeg

7D4AC34D-CA6B-4A4D-9441-AA1F12BD5FDF.jpeg

Hi Lone Hunter

These we’re found in several gravel bars of Denton Creek (just north of Fort Worth, Texas).

I’m not 100% sure what you mean by formation, but Fort Worth is built on Barnett Shale…  Not sure if that answers your question appropriately.

Welcome. 

Pictures 1 and  4 are Rastellum,  pic 2 appears to be Lopha bivalve,  5 is Gryphea, 6 is Neithea.  Last one and # 3  not sure.    Most of these are found in Duck Creek or Goodland formation from Forth Worth.   

This geologic map will allow more precise location. 

https://txpub.usgs.gov/txgeology/

• I found this Informative 2

8 minutes ago, freerangetraveler said:

Hi Lone Hunter

These we’re found in several gravel bars of Denton Creek (just north of Fort Worth, Texas).

I’m not 100% sure what you mean by formation, but Fort Worth is built on Barnett Shale…  Not sure if that answers your question appropriately.

The Barnett Shale is well below the surface in the area. The exposures in Denton Creek at I-35W near the top where rock is exposed are the Ft. Worth Limestone and the Duck Creek formations. You have several mollusks including the "denture clam" which is actually an oyster formerly called Rastellum. 

• I found this Informative 2

Definition of formation; A geological formation, or formation, is a body of rock having a consistent set of physical characteristics that distinguishes it from adjacent bodies of rock, and which occupies a particular position in the layers of rock exposed in a geographical region. 

Thanks Gents!  Really appreciate the knowledge!

I’ve been researching since I got home and I’m a bit overwhelmed by how much there is to learn!

• I Agree 1