Planning a Big Brook trip!

RFausta

So, since the price of gas is skyrocketing, i have a quick trip to Big Brook planned for the end of the month. I will be driving down from New Hampshire, moaning at the cost of gas! I have been to BB three times now, this will be the fourth. I have only entered from two spots, both on the east side of the park- I am wondering where other people like to start? I have no idea how to GET to the brook from the internal parking lot! Are there better/different ways to get into the brook? I don’t want any Secret Collecting Spot info, I just like variety :) 

i also know there’s a site further up the street, adjacent to a school (the name is escaping me)- is that a site worth making a day visit, or a quick wander? I’ll be visiting on a weekday.

Attached is a super technical drawing of the two spots I have entered Big Brook from, always starting from the east and moving upstream/west. 

3E1B2FCC-8C22-4A04-B3F0-C25E138776AE.jpeg

I've always gone to the parking spot on Hillsdale road, and walked the brook to the west from there.
Some people park on Boundary road near the bridge.

Hillsdale Rd.JPG

Parking.JPG

Also, I think the other spot you are talking about is Ramanessin Brook.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You might also consider Ramanessin Brook. Easy access from the elementary school east of Holmdel. You can park in the lot there (on weekends), walk across the road and walk the trail which parallels the stream with many access points. It is about ten minutes from Big Brook. Basically, the same formations and fauna in both places. Many times, I've been to both streams in the same day. 

• I found this Informative 2

Hello - I have been to Big Brook Nature Preserve and Ramanessin and both are great places to spend a day, regardless of what you find. @RFausta it looks like your picture is from Big Brook Park, which I believe is unrelated to Big Brook Nature Preserve although they are very close to each other. I have been to Big Brook Park and it's great for observing wildlife and hiking, but I think it's part of the NJ parks system and may not be a place where you are actually able to collect on within the park boundaries so I have never used this as an access point to get to the Big Brook Nature Preserve area. I could be wrong, so if any of the locals know otherwise, please correct me. With the parking locations you circled, I believe you would need to walk downstream to access the places where collecting is allowed. It's much easier to park/access where @Fossildude19 has suggested. If you are going to Ramenessin on a weekday and the school parking lot isn't an option to park, and if you don't mind a little walk, I believe you can park at Bayonet farms and walk to the creek (again I believe you need to be mindful of Holmdel Park boundaries as to where you can actually collect). Hopefully you have a successful trip (and gas prices are a little lower when you actually hit the road)!

7 hours ago, MicroTooth said:

Hello - I have been to Big Brook Nature Preserve and Ramanessin and both are great places to spend a day, regardless of what you find. @RFausta it looks like your picture is from Big Brook Park, which I believe is unrelated to Big Brook Nature Preserve although they are very close to each other. I have been to Big Brook Park and it's great for observing wildlife and hiking, but I think it's part of the NJ parks system and may not be a place where you are actually able to collect on within the park boundaries so I have never used this as an access point to get to the Big Brook Nature Preserve area. I could be wrong, so if any of the locals know otherwise, please correct me. With the parking locations you circled, I believe you would need to walk downstream to access the places where collecting is allowed. It's much easier to park/access where @Fossildude19 has suggested. If you are going to Ramenessin on a weekday and the school parking lot isn't an option to park, and if you don't mind a little walk, I believe you can park at Bayonet farms and walk to the creek (again I believe you need to be mindful of Holmdel Park boundaries as to where you can actually collect). Hopefully you have a successful trip (and gas prices are a little lower when you actually hit the road)!

As a local I go very often since it is less then 15 minutes from home. Big Brook Park (Marlboro) is also open for fossil collection and has their own rules which differs from the Big Brook Nature Preserve (Colts Neck). The preserve rules note 5 fossils per day per person. Big Brook (Marlboro) rules notes whatever you can fit in a small zip lock bag or in a 12 ounce can (per person per day). I find the park less congested and potentially more productive.

Edited by JoetheJerseyGuy

I usually drive a short distance passed the two main Big Brook entrances to Colts Neck Nature Preserve. Fewer people hunt there and there are some very good exposures of the fossil bearing strata. Look it up on a map first, there are a couple of turns but it's fairly easy to locate. The main site is over hunted and it's difficult to find anything worth the effort. (at least from my experience)

I do not have much to add since all of the above posts do a great job summarizing the site, but I wanted to wish you a good luck. Some incredible fossils have been found in Big Brook and Ramanessin Brook. Remember to post what you find!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Thank you all for the great information!! Now, for something completely different.. how does one obtain a Paleo Partner award? I am 100% sure I qualify but I don’t know what I have to submit and where! :) 

(Caveat: i worked as a field paleontologist for 11 years in California and have a metric buttload of fossils accessioned there, did fossil prep for 2 museums in CA, and my one Cervidae molar fragment in the NJ museum, heh) (Photo: me (top) in Pit 91 at the La Brea Tar Pits)

ED2C4C5F-E774-4AA3-851D-E6907688F025.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, RFausta said:

how does one obtain a Paleo Partner award?

Post clear photos of specimens, according to the format, HERE.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

You only get one award, so, no need to post multiples unless you really feel like it. ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

16 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

You only get one award, so, no need to post multiples unless you really feel like it. ;)

Well, I have my paleo favorites :) When people ask me what my favorite find was, I usually answer the Harlans ground sloth (because its big and sexy and identifiable to most people) but my real favorite is the brittle star I found because soft parts, man.. :)