folsom2012

Hello everyone. Just trying to see if I can get some idea of what this may be. Top of the fossil seems to be a tooth but the lower part looks more like bone material than tooth. I know it’s well worn, and I don’t expect any kind of classification. Just trying to figure out if it’s actually a tooth or something different.

D85A5E0D-A5B9-48F1-B6CA-67C21A57F6E0.jpeg

D3959600-B775-42CE-A0D6-10979361F564.jpeg

2C5E0CB7-2783-42E9-856B-40ABF79BDC18.jpeg

56EB07D8-5343-48E5-8155-72613E62555F.jpeg

D340E544-BE5E-4347-944F-7DC9573466F3.jpeg

46EA222F-7DB1-4143-9B3C-3A1012122A0F.jpeg

D74DC4BC-A5F0-4ADB-B0BC-48351C7CB629.jpeg

E8FA83A5-4035-4B03-BFE0-3C34E3C7BAAF.jpeg

• Thank You 1

Size would be helpful,  photographing on coco’s cm paper is easy.  I think it maybe a sawfish rostral spine.

Mammal tooth I think. In this condition someone more experienced will need to confirm it though.

Total length is about 8cm. The tip area being about 3cm. Don’t have it handy to measure so just a rough guess but, should be close.

Now that I’ve looked up some other Rostral Spines I believe that may exactly be it. Very similar looking and size seems about right too. Thanks everyone!

Edited by folsom2012

I hope this helps, it is from fossils of new jersey http://fossilsofnj.com/skates_rays/sawfish.htm.   whenever i see a fossil with a short enamel tip and a clothpin shape I think sawfish rostral spines.    I have never seen (or recognized)  a hollow one because I rely on that odd apical shape, but as you see if you break the end it is hollow.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

IITHE SAWFISH
Ischyrhiza mira (Leidy)

Age  Cretaceous - Occurrence  Common

The sawfish is not a shark but a skate. These somewhat common “teeth” that are collected in the streams of NJ are really the rostral spines that lined the elongated and flattened bill of the skate. These spines are unique and and easy to identify.  Not nearly as distinctive are the oral teeth of Ischyrhiza mira. These are common, but their small size (3 mm) requires the use of a fine meshed screen when collecting.
The Cretaceous sawfishes (order Sclerorhynchiformes) are not related to the modern sawfishes
(Pristiformes). They differ from modern sawfishes in a number of ways, the rostral spines have an enamel coating and are not set into sockets. Instead, the spines are connected to the rostrum via connective tissue and are continually replaced (rather than continually growing but never replaced as in the modern sawfishes).

http://fossilsofnj.com/skates_rays/sawfish/i_mira_plate_1_web.jpg

Plate 1
Ischyrhiza mira rostral spine.
Monmouth County, NJ

http://fossilsofnj.com/skates_rays/sawfish/i_mira_example2_web.jpg

The rostral spines can get large, examples up to 6 cm have been reported.
This specimen is one of my largest at 3 cm or about 1 1/4 inches.

http://fossilsofnj.com/skates_rays/sawfish/ar3_fish_scale_web.jpg

Plate 2
Identified as a I. mira posterior rostral spine by Dr. Earl Manning.
The base of the root has broken off exposing the hollow interior.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks ValHorn. This is exactly a match to those to steal spines. Great info, I would’ve never thought about looking for this.