Microscope recommendation for taking photos of shark teeth

hemipristis

hafa adi folks,

I am looking for suggestions/recommendations on UDB microscopes for the predominant purpose of taking pictures of shark teeth, generally small fish material, coins and thumbnail mineral specimens.  I did a search through the topics on FN figuring that mine can't be a new question.  While I found a couple of threads but they were a bit dated, and I wondered if there are new equipment on the market.

While I'm not overly budget conscious, I'm hoping for something around for a couple of hundred bucks (USD) or less. 

Now for the dumb question: I assume that I will need a different scope, something more akin to a dissecting scope, for hand specimens?

I appreciate any response, and thank you.

signed,

Hemipristis_serra_upper_lg (1).jpeg

Edited by hemipristis

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

You probably would want a Stereo Microscope vs Compound Microscope. I have both (Mine are AMscopes which are good optically but not as precision built like Olympus, Nikon, and Zeiss). You can find used scopes on online or shopgoodwill (online). BTW I have cameras for both scopes and find using a scope on a 27" or larger screen is a great way to work. Now days you can get a good used student grade stereo scope or compound scope for under  $200, make sure you get one with a stage for moving the slide as your looking. But I found (I just bought an Amscope 150 compound from goodwill for $23:)) that you can get a stage for $30 from the manufacture.

Here is a trick if you find a used Stereo scope without lights.  You can get frosted LED light (say 4 x 6) and use it as a low power scope for slides. Don't worry about a tri-ocular scope as if you decide to use a scope camera you can just use the ocular port. However, if you use a DSLR or mirrorless camera a triocular (so called because they have a third port for a camera) is better for holding the camera (IMHO).

Also a work around for dark field on Stereo scopes is to back light but have a black dot painted on the frosted cover (or a clear over lay with a black dot on it).

I also should mention that a LED ring light works well for fossils on a Stereo scope.

I've attached an image of my Stereo Scope when I used a small mirrorless camera with it. Now I use a scope camera and it goes to the 50" HDEF TV next to it. Both ways worked for me.

Hope these thoughts help you a bit.

20210214_085727.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Not sure if you're considering a digital microscope in addition to more traditional microscopes. Regardless, I would recommend being able to do image stacking. These are the results from a digital microscope I recently acquired (November '21). 

• 1 year later...

Have used a trinocular attachment with a big full-frame digital camera, and I don't like the results compared to an iPhone camera through the eye piece. Plus on-phone apps can step through the focal planes needed for photo stacking.

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

really best is to use a microskop-camera on a binocular

It is possible to get both used but in nice condition on the classic market in the net if you do not need a 2023-model

I use some microscopes from the 60th to 90th (great quality) and a usb-attachment from around 2015.

works

3 hours ago, rocket said:

really best is to use a microskop-camera on a binocular

It is possible to get both used but in nice condition on the classic market in the net if you do not need a 2023-model

I use some microscopes from the 60th to 90th (great quality) and a usb-attachment from around 2015.

works

I think your are right, mainly because cameras made for microscopes come with some amazing features, like stacking and measuring tools.