Planning a Jurassic Coast fossil trip

Chuck W

HI ! I'm planning a trip to the UK and want to collect the Devon / Jurassic coast area.  I've collected extensively in the US but am a newby to this area.   I any and all information: lodging or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 

Chuck 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chuck,

Although I'm not an expert by any means and have not arranged accommodation for myself in Devon/Dorset, I have been to the Jurassic coast 3 times now and always take the opportunity to go (it helps when you only live 3 hours away!). Visiting Lyme Regis is a must for this trip, its a stunning seaside town full of fossil hunting heritage as I'm sure you already know. if you look closely you can even spot ammonites in the walls of some houses made from the local limestones! There are many fossil shops there to be expected, and each have a mini museum style display section of stunning finds from the area. Access to the beach is quick and easy to hunt for fossils, and if you're lucky you may find ichthyosaur vertebrae or jaw fragments (I haven't been lucky yet!). There are also some antique shops along the beach side walk which have some good deals on fossils from the area. Parking can be a struggle however, it really depends what season you go. There is a park and ride service in the east side of the town which I know runs in the summer so may be useful to you.

With regards to visiting Charmouth beach just around the coast from Lyme Regis, I've not had good luck there and the ammonite quality from what I've found isn't great, however others find very well preserved specimens, so I think its a case of avoiding crowds and move far up the beach where fewer people hunt. They do have a really nice fossil shop at the beach there so that's worth a look in its self, I loved seeing the huge Ichthyosaur skull they had at the back of the shop when I was younger!

I can recommend to you a "hidden" spot that has few hunters but is my favourite place to go along the coast as I've found my best finds there. Its a town called West Bay 5 miles (8km) east from Charmouth. the rock there is a cretaceous sandstone however it has some amazing marine specimens to be found like large ammonites, Placenticeras and long belemnites. once you get to the main beach there, go left down the beach along the cliffs and that's where the finds are. There have been a few recent cliff falls along that beach which is great for hunting but can be dangerous.

I cant stress enough how important it is to know the weather and tides before you go hunting. England has some of the worlds largest tide changes so its really easy to get caught against the cliffs by the fast approaching sea which is really dangerous and you'll need lifeboat aid. a way to avoid this is by simply typing into google "West Bay tide times" for example and it'll come up with that location on tidetimes.org.uk. it shows what time the high and low tide is that day and the following days after if you want to plan ahead. my advice is to start hunting when the tide is half out, then you have maximum time to hunt without risking being close to the cliffs as they do fall rarely but randomly. Never take chunks out of the cliffs directly, looking through cliff falls as this is the safest option.

I hope this helps you plan your trip, I love this part of the country and wish I can get down there more often. everywhere has a friendly atmosphere and there's always a café or pub just a stones throw away where you can get food and drink at your leisure. some pubs may offer bed and breakfast services but you'll have to pre-book on the pubs website, or there are many cheaper hotels dotted around the area as its high for tourism so I don't think you'll have trouble finding a place to stay. Definitely try the ice cream down in Dorset as well, you'll love it!

once again hope this helps,

Ben