Neanderthal Shaman

About a month ago, I took advantage of a 3-day weekend to go out to the Peninsula with my brother and came back with a bag full of concretions. Now I'm just trying to work through them. Been getting a lot of duds or incompletes, but here are the last 2 I did. 

I'm fairly pleased with this claw! I inflicted a lot of damage on it (I use a Dremel 290 which doesn't quite have the feather touch of an air scribe), but it's very complete, and WOW, the color on this one!

1859729053_IMG_20220314_183835(1).thumb.jpg.2864349f357cbaeeb625437dde25f864.jpg

This one is pretty big, and I like the patterns you can see on it. However, a commonality I'm seeing with these bigger ones is that they always seem to be missing the dactyl, the upper movable portion of the claw. I don't think it's that I'm shaving them off, I would still see them if I were doing that...I think they just tended to detach and float away before the claw had a chance to fossilize. 

IMG_20220314_183630.thumb.jpg.ed2c31073ef51f0f81d3acb15f55370c.jpg

Anyways, that's what I've got to show right now! If they come out nice, I'll post any more that are worth showing. I'm really holding out for a big one that still has the dactyl.  

• Enjoyed 2

8 hours ago, Neanderthal Shaman said:

a commonality I'm seeing with these bigger ones is that they always seem to be missing the dactyl, the upper movable portion of the claw.

Yes, a commonality for sure.  I used to gather these up by  the hundreds and whack em open once home.  Lots of duds and lots without the dactyl. 

RB

• I found this Informative 1