Strange fossil...

RoscoeM

Definitely seems to show indications of a brachiopod or bivalve shell. Without knowing a general location where this was found it is impossible to try to pin down the potential age of the formation from which it came. Location and age are important details to allow a better diagnosis of what you have.

Cheers.

-Ken

I apologize... This was found in Kansas on a gravel bar in an old creek... South Eastern Kansas near the Flint hills

Edited by RoscoeM

Brachiopods were much more common back in the Paleozoic (248-545 Ma) and if this is more recent then it may be a bivalve mollusk rather than a brachiopod. Not at all familiar with the geology or fossils of Kansas but other members may chime in with more information.

The Cenozoic is a fairly broad time range (last 66 Ma). Does the geologic map suggest one of the 7 epochs during this time: Paleocene, Eocene, Oligocene, Miocene, Pliocene, Pleistocene or Holocene?

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

These look like brachiopods from the Pennsylvanian or Mississippian eras.

Cowley.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If I'm reading the map correctly it's Alluvium (late pleist. And Holocene) but it only shows this on the creeks and river...

But you are surrounded by Pennsylvanian which could easily have washed down onto those younger alluvium plains. Older reworked materials in younger formations are almost always something you have to consider.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1