Grayson County creek - March 14th

BudB

Yesterday morning I drove to Grayson County and hunted yet another new spot in a creek. This one did not disappoint. With the extended drought (though parts of Grayson County did get a half inch of rain later in the day yesterday), I keep wondering how these creeks aren't picked clean, but I'm still finding fossils. Here are a few as they lay.

gra04001.jpg

gra04002.jpg

gra04003.jpg

gra04004.jpg

Edited by BudB
  • Enjoyed 1

Here is what a picked up. There are 124 teeth, but no Ptychodus teeth. It's funny how hit or miss finding Ptychodus teeth seems to be in these creeks.

gra04005.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Is this a piece of a sawfish rostrum tooth? I also found one of these my last trip, but didn't recognize what it was.

gra04006.jpg

Edited by BudB

I think this little guy is my favorite tooth from the day. I uploaded the other individual tooth photos from the day into this album.

gra04014.jpg

Edited by BudB
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

And then there's this rock. Here are views of both sides. Are these just burrows in that rock? I don't think I've seen burrow fossils that were this small before.

gra04007.jpg

gra04008.jpg

Edited by BudB
  • Enjoyed 2

These are branching bryozoan that attach themselves to the oysters. Are you finding them in Post Oak Creek where they are common?

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, BudB said:

Is this a piece of a sawfish rostrum tooth? I also found one of these my last trip, but didn't recognize what it was.

gra04006.jpg

It looks like the root of a Sawfish rostral tooth to me. 

• I Agree 2