Texas Through Time

Ptychodus04

My wife and I took the 90 minute drive south to visit the Texas Through Time museum in Hillsboro, TX yesterday. I met the director, Andre Lujan, in Tucson this year. The museum is housed in the historic Grimes Garage. It was built in 1917 (I think) and was the first garage/filling station with indoor restrooms. :thumbsu: 

The museum is small but there are plans in the works for an expansion. If all goes through, it will be quite a facility in such a small town. The museum features fossils from 1800’s Texas, so this includes modern Texas, New Mexico, and Oklahoma. It is arranged in a clockwise manner starting with Paleozoic and ending in the Pleistocene. My absolute favorite specimen on display is a nearly complete Ptychodus. 

Andre has really engaged the community and provides all kinds of events to engage kids and give them something safe and educational to do. There’s not even an admission fee.

967FE25E-700D-441C-B836-48E3733EC2C2.thumb.jpeg.e4975e0e94f598394de9ea78bf5c9877.jpeg

55566D2B-4B9B-4C60-98E9-7A897E01C6F4.thumb.jpeg.51077393188b5d920188fba13966eb7c.jpeg

1588DD4F-8776-421A-92E2-35F42A4E8B88.thumb.jpeg.0dabbb0908ef062c27007a213618a184.jpeg

C93986C3-EB6B-4AE5-A946-8B1BF1917ED3.thumb.jpeg.f42f1a1f766d5c7de659b1065a8ff312.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 7

Thanks for sharing.

I particularly like the patch of greenish drool on the ground under the dinosaur's mouth in the first picture. 

Or has that leaked from your mouth? :BigSmile:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

pic one: that's one heck of a ferocious-looking animal,and i am not talking about the dinosaur

the last pic proves my thesis about mammal hair loss caused by standing in front

of a large ammonite

Edited by doushantuo
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Which fossil did you prep for the museum?

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

20 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Thanks for sharing.

I particularly like the patch of greenish drool on the ground under the dinosaur's mouth in the first picture. 

Or has that leaked from your mouth? :BigSmile:

That’s Dino drool caused by the advent of such a delicious meal. 

17 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

pic one: that's one heck of a ferocious-looking animal,and i am not talking about the dinosaur

the last pic proves my thesis about mammal hair loss caused by standing in front

of a large ammonite

I’m surprised it was willing to eat that thing. 

On point #2, I’m glad I had my hat on or your theory would have progressed to a law.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

31 minutes ago, historianmichael said:

Which fossil did you prep for the museum?

The large mammoth tooth with a bit of gravel matrix holding an oyster shell on the side.

• Enjoyed 1

Kris,I love the fact that you drove all that distance to go to a museum,I really do

i recognize the love for fossils when i see it,and you have plenty of it

• Thank You 1

43 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The large mammoth tooth with a bit of gravel matrix holding an oyster shell on the side.

Very cool! Do you have a photo?

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Very nice, thanks for sharing.  That one is on my list for my contemplated, but as yet to be executed, Texas Museum Road Trip.

Nice trip! It looks like it was very fun! I am hoping to visit a fossil musuem or two one of these days. Although last year I did visit Prehistoric Fossils, It is very much like a musuem.

Edited by fossilhunter21
  • Enjoyed 1

It is a great little (but big in spirit!) museum! I am happy to be involved with them, too...if you visit the gift shop you'll see some of my art and Fossil Quest posters! A great Day Trip destination.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1