(Help ID)Kansas River Phalanx ID- 4 inches long

Denny1st

I found this large bone at the Kansas river today. I believe it's permineralized phalanx and it is about 4 inches long. If anyone can help me out I'd be very appreciative. If you need more photos let me know. Thanks in advance

(Apologies for not using centimeters, I couldn't find my tape measure so I used a yard stick. )

Screenshot_20220317-181100.png

Screenshot_20220317-181052.png

Screenshot_20220317-181033.png

Screenshot_20220317-181026.png

Looks mammalian, is all I can say. I don't think it's bison, but the groove on the front-side suggests deer to me. Compare with the image in the post below:

@Harry Pristis will undoubtedly know what this is from...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

13 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I agree that it appears to be cervid, a large cervid like elk or moose.  

Thank you both. That definitely narrows it down. Maybe it will remain unidentifiable beyond just large cervid, but do either of you happen to know which species were around? Or if that's too wishful thinking, genus? Possibly Cervalces scotti? Thanks again guys. 

Edited by Denny1st
Spelling

I'm really not the right person to ask about mammalian remains. However, may be someone with local fossil hunting experience, like @KansasFossilHunter, would know - or at least be able to indicate what species are known to occur...

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

There were a LOT of pleistocene deer relatives that could occur in Kansas, no specific sites listed in Pleistocene Mammals of North America however.  Some of the very large ones include:

Wapiti ( living relatives in Europe and Eurasia) Cervus elaphus Linnaeus, 1758

Stag-Moose Cervalces scotti Lydekker, 1898; [Cervus americanus Harlan, 1825 (preoccupied name); Cervalces roosevelti Hay, 1913; C. Borealis Bensley, 1913]

Moose (extant) Alces alces Linnaeus 1758

Caribou (extant) Rangifer tarandus Linnaeus, 1758

Fugitive Deer Sangamona fugitiva Hay, 1920 [Cervus whitneyi Allen, 1876]

Hopefully this info is helpful

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'll look into all of those you mentioned, but I bet species will remain a mystery! I'll definitely have to check out that sandbar again soon though. Spring rains are on my doorstep. Thanks everyone for the help. 

• Enjoyed 1

Update- I found two mineralized deer-ish jaws today. One in great shape, the other could use some cleaning and glue. Same sandbar. Also found a large rib I believe was bison, seemed mineralized.. and quite a few bovine vertebrae I can't say if bison or cow. I'll definitely be checking up on this sandbar now and then. I won't gravedig this post anymore though (is that still a term? Haven't used forums in some time haha)... Anyways here they are. 

Screenshot_2022-03-19_214726.jpg

Screenshot_2022-03-19_214707.jpg

Screenshot_2022-03-19_214746.jpg

Screenshot_2022-03-19_214730.jpg

Screenshot_20220319-214204.png

Screenshot_2022-03-19_214310.jpg

Screenshot_2022-03-19_214254.jpg

Screenshot_2022-03-19_214657.jpg

Screenshot_2022-03-19_214318.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

You might take a look at this thread... and your last photo:

Seems like a very small mandible for Bison,  but great finds.....

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"