Brittle star from UK. Real or not real? Please help

I am very interested in purchasing this brittle star from Dorset, UK.

It is not cheap.

so just want to ask your opinion ☺️

do you think it is 100% natural and real?

Thanks!

76522868-6067-4A52-A37B-B68DA23786DB.jpeg

This looks totally real, and a very nice example of a brittlestar.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I too considered a modern brittlestar preserved and glued-down onto the substrate. The way they look to have chased a couple of the arms down into the matrix during prepping makes me believe this is either an exceedingly well conceived hoax (fake) or that it a beautiful example of an exquisitely preserved ophiuroid. Of course, one of the best methods for checking its authenticity is to try to look up similar material from this locality. If you can find similar looking material (from other vendors) that seem quite similar to this stunning specimen, then that would give me much more confidence. As always, if I were purchasing a relatively expensive specimen I'd want to make sure the seller stands behind it with a money-back guarantee. Having it in hand should allow someone to verify that it is completely authentic. You should be able to see the contact between the specimen and the matrix being nothing but matrix (without any signs of adhesive). The specimen itself should be well lithified and solid. If it were to be the hollow exoskeleton of a modern brittle star glued down to a suggestively carved block of matrix then glue should be apparent under magnification (or UV light) and a pin would easily penetrate the exoskeleton even if it were solidified with consolidant.

I think it looks exceptional (so much so that we both could be persuaded to believe it modern) but (with a money-back guarantee) I'd be willing to purchase it (if I purchased fossils, which I don't).

If you do pop for this specimen, let us know how it looks in-hand when you get it. We'd love to see some more detailed close-up photos of this beauty.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

It does seem that Dorset, UK is blessed with some incredibly preserved ophiuroids:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dorset+uk+brittlestar+fossils&tbm=isch

Apparently, famous for these--scroll down to the Down Cliff Sand Member section of this page:

http://www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/seatown_fossils.htm

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Its' a superb specimen, beautifully prepped. :b_love1:

Edited by Tidgy's Dad
  • Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

17 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

This looks totally real, and a very nice example of a brittlestar.

Thank you Tim, it is good to hear : )

17 hours ago, digit said:

One of the nicest I've seen and prepped very well.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you so much, Ken for your very informative and helpful answer!

I will definitely update with some pictures once I get it!

16 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

It's real alright and an excellent sample. They are rare and not easy to come by in that quality, hence the expensiveness.

Thank you:b_love1:

13 hours ago, Tidgy&#x27;s Dad said:

Its' a superb specimen, beautifully prepped. :b_love1:

Thank you, Tidgy's Dad~ Nice to hear from you again :default_clap2:

• Thank You 1

17 hours ago, Paleorunner said:

wow!!!    :trilosurprise:   I had not seen something so well preserved, it seems current .....

:heartylaugh:thank you~

• Enjoyed 1