Crane fly larva? from Florissant CO

Earendil

A rather strange insect from the Florissant Formation of Colorado, looks like a larva or some sort of soft bodied insect.

The first piece, in better condition:

IMG-4119.thumb.JPG.b75a036d78dd412f90576e8b496cab37.JPG

IMG-4120.thumb.JPG.d9ae0356ca943d464cce536cacb027b6.JPG

IMG-4116.thumb.JPG.74cd68116c2a8f95215b988be5e6198d.JPG

And the second piece:

IMG-4117.thumb.JPG.3554e9422a2e4fa359e8bf36ac01e808.JPG

I can definitely see segments and it seems to be a close match to this Tipula hepialina (crane fly) pupa from the iDigPaleo system:

52701_ca_object_representations_media_62042_large.jpg.247dc2c465b714cd2d664f77b04db8db.jpg

Do you guys think it fits? Thanks in advance!

• Enjoyed 3

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

I'm not an expert on Florissant, but it looks like a good match to me.

• Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

It looks like it matches, cool fine, its a nice size.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

1 hour ago, Top Trilo said:

It looks like it matches, cool fine, its a nice size.

Thanks! I've read that crane fly larvae and pupae are called leatherjackets because they have a tough brown casing, which would explain how it was more likely to fossilize. It is a bit smaller than most extant crane fly larvae however, (less than 1 inch vs. the regular 2-3 inches) which makes me think it might be pretty early in development. It's certainly interesting.

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

2 minutes ago, yardrockpaleo said:

It is a bit smaller than most extant crane fly larvae however, (less than 1 inch vs. the regular 2-3 inches) which makes me think it might be pretty early in development. It's certainly interesting.

I know nothing about size of extant crane fly larvae (until now). I was more referring to, for a Florissant larva, its pretty big, as most are only a couple mm long.

• Enjoyed 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)