Chambersburg Elbrook Fm. Fossil Hunting Sites?

HynerpetonHunter

Hello, I wanted to ask about the old elusive trilobite, Olenellus. 

I heard on a topic on here about Elbrook Formation Olenellus near Chambersburg. I was wondering if anybody knows where a good roadcut or something would be? I know how difficult it is to find suitable PA Cambrian sites. I have been to Locust Lane and found some worm traces or rust deposits but no Olenellus. I have left Locust Lane in the dust, and so I want another roadcut of some possible worth. If anyone has any pointers whatsoever then help would be appreciated. Even if a site not in Chambersburg is mentioned, such as somewhere else in PA or maybe West Virginia, I will take that advice. Please help if you can!

As Olenellus is a lower Cambrian trilobite it is absent from the Elbrook Fm:

image.thumb.png.828b8e22d1cbaeb71e1b4253ec5376df.png

Brezinski, D.K. 1996. Stratigraphy of the Elbrook Formation (Middle to Upper Cambrian) in Maryland and Adjacent States. In: Brezinski, D.K. & Reger, J.P. (eds.) Studies in Maryland Geology – In Commemoration of the Centennial of the Maryland Geological Survey. Maryland Geological Survey, Special Publication, 3:165-186  PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

This is what I read, but I guess I read it wrong. I looked at an article and you are correct. Thank you @piranha.

Edited by HynerpetonHunter

13 hours ago, HynerpetonHunter said:

I heard on a topic on here about Elbrook Formation Olenellus near Chambersburg. I was wondering if anybody knows where a good roadcut or something would be? I know how difficult it is to find suitable PA Cambrian sites. I have been to Locust Lane and found some worm traces or rust deposits but no Olenellus. I have left Locust Lane in the dust, and so I want another roadcut of some possible worth. If anyone has any pointers whatsoever then help would be appreciated. Even if a site not in Chambersburg is mentioned, such as somewhere else in PA or maybe West Virginia, I will take that advice. Please help if you can!

There was a spot in York, PA (Kinzer Fm?). The bugs were sparse, but present in roadside scree.  The spot is identified in the old "Fossil Collecting in PA" book that was printed in the 1960s/70s.  I'm sure copies are still floating around.

I just did a quick search.  Since these forum doesn't like links posted, I will PM it to you

• Thank You 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

1 hour ago, hemipristis said:

There was a spot in York, PA (Kinzer Fm?). The bugs were sparse, but present in roadside scree.  The spot is identified in the old "Fossil Collecting in PA" book that was printed in the 1960s/70s.  I'm sure copies are still floating around.

I just did a quick search.  Since these forum doesn't like links posted, I will PM it to you

Many of those sites are no longer viable - a lot has changed in the 60 years since the book was published.

FYI:

The Forum does allow links, ...  just not to retail fossil vendors/online market places/auction sites for fossils;)

All other links are OK.  :) 

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Many of those sites are no longer viable - a lot has changed in the 60 years since the book was published.

FYI:

The Forum does allow links, ...  just not to retail fossil vendors/online market places/auction sites for fossils;)

All other links are OK.  :) 

I visited the York site in the early 2000s

re: links, thank you for the clarification

George Santayana

15 minutes ago, hemipristis said:

I visited the York site in the early 2000s

Seems pretty sparse now, apparently.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Seems pretty sparse now, apparently.

That's the one!

I think it's always been scarce.  My friend and I split an awful lot of rock over 6 hours and she found one. I was empty handed, but she gave me the negative and kept the positive.

George Santayana

On 3/20/2022 at 4:41 PM, HynerpetonHunter said:

Like Piranha said, the Elbrook Formation is too young for Olenellus.

Antietam Sandstone: I've found a couple of fragments in the Antietam Sandstone and similarly aged rocks elsewhere in the area. Can't give away any sites, but I will say there are Antietam exposures near the town of Dargan, Maryland. The trilobites are very rare and almost always fragmentary, so keep your expectations in check.

Tomstown Dolomite: The Tomstown has produced Olenellus trilobites from localities in southern Pennsylvania. I don't know of any roadcuts, but there might be some stream/quarry exposures if you're more adventurous. 

Waynesboro Formation: The Waynesboro has produced a few Olenellus fragments south of Winchester, Virginia. The Waynesboro tends to be unfossiliferous, so again keep your expectations in check. 

Harpers Formation: Supposedly you can find some fragments of Olenellus in the Harpers Formation around Harpers Ferry. I've never seen any myself, only some worm burrows. My advice would be to check the outcrops on the western edge of the Blue Ridge, I think Loudon Heights is the name of the hill. 

If you want Cambrian trilobites your best bet is to try to gain access to a quarry in the Elbrook Formation, or book a trip out west.