Searching for shark tooth in Melbourne

Sarah84

Hi everyone! :)

So my dream is to find a full shark tooth (I have found just one tooth so far, but not a full tooth) 

I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in Melbourne (Australia) where I can be almost guaranteed to find a chunky shark tooth :meg:

My daughters and I always go to Beaumaris and need somewhere new that isn’t too far away. 

Thank you for any help any of you can give me.

9 hours ago, digit said:

I wonder if @Paleoworld-101 might have some insight?

I know he collected in a place called Geelong which seemed to have the pointy objects which you seek:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/61248-fossil-hunting-holiday-in-victoria-australia-dec-2015-jan-2016/&do=findComment&comment=653005

Cheers.

-Ken

@digit Thank you so much for your reply Ken and your help with tagging someone to also help out :) I really appreciate it!

That's what we do here. ;)

If you do get out to find some nice shark teeth, remember to take a camera with you and take some photos of your fossil hunting trip. We love to see fossil sites that we'll likely never get to see in person and do a vicarious hunt here while reading trip reports.

Cheers.

-Ken

5 hours ago, digit said:

That's what we do here. ;)

If you do get out to find some nice shark teeth, remember to take a camera with you and take some photos of your fossil hunting trip. We love to see fossil sites that we'll likely never get to see in person and do a vicarious hunt here while reading trip reports.

Cheers.

-Ken

:Jumping:

I’m so glad that I found and joined this forum! 

Hopefully I find some help on where to find my dream shark tooth :default_clap2::meg:

@digit

PM sent. 

• I found this Informative 1

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Thanks. I knew you'd have some good guidance for her. ;)

I've learned that in this world you don't have to know everything--you just have to know those who do. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

• 2 months later...

I’d like to visit the Geelong location too but so far have been unable to find any information  on location and access. 

if you wouldn’t mind sharing this information it would be very much appreciated 

I don't know the details of the Geelong site and so I don't know if it is a well known locality or a bit of a secret such that posting details here on an open forum might result in it getting hammered. I do know that @Paleoworld-101 has written about visiting there in the past:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/61248-fossil-hunting-holiday-in-victoria-australia-dec-2015-jan-2016/&do=findComment&comment=653005

It is possible that he will see this and might provide you with the details to locate this fossil site (possibly by PM if that is the wisest way to make this knowledge available). ;)

Welcome to the forum! Lots of great information here (and knowledgeable members). :)

Cheers.

-Ken

On 3/21/2022 at 2:07 AM, Sarah84 said:

Hi everyone! :)

So my dream is to find a full shark tooth (I have found just one tooth so far, but not a full tooth) 

I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere in Melbourne (Australia) where I can be almost guaranteed to find a chunky shark tooth :meg:

My daughters and I always go to Beaumaris and need somewhere new that isn’t too far away. 

Thank you for any help any of you can give me.

I have a friend who collects at Beaumaris when he is visiting family.  It seems to be the best place in the area to find shark teeth but they aren't common.  I have seen that people find sea urchins and sometimes a shark tooth there.  The thing to think about is the teeth are weathering out of a layer and there might be other spots where they are washing ashore after a store or eroding out of boulders and sea cliffs as well.  If I were you, I would visit other public beaches in the general region and see if other people are looking for fossils.  You will of course need to be safe (be aware of the tides, rogue waves, go where there are other people around, etc.).  You can try finding out if there is a local rock/fossil club that has a different place to look for shark teeth. 

I know in Australia, you have a word for prospecting for minerals or fossils - fossicking.