starting to look for Micro fossils in the Pittsburg Bluff Formation - what is this?

OregonFossil

I've looked at a lot of  sediment now and I just found this. It is a perfect sphere and semi-clear.  Hard but perfectly round. Don't think it's a microfossil, but anyone have a guess as to what it is? It was inside a 3 x 6" piece of the formation. Image about 4-500X.  Object cannot be seen with naked eye. 

sphere2.jpg

Could possibly be a tektite:

https://astronomy.com/news/2019/07/hints-of-previously-unknown-asteroid-impact-found-in-florida-clam-fossils

I found a number of similar rounded glass spheres in my local backyard creek here in Gainesville, FL. They reflect back the light of my digital camera-microscope's ring light and appear quite bright on the picking plate. Mystery was finally solved when I spotted some of these spheres cemented together in white and yellow paint. These turned out to be the reflective spheres that are added to road-striping paint to enhance its appearance at night reflecting headlights. If there might be a chance that runoff from paved roads might have contaminated your matrix then this could be the explanation of your sphere.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

Looks like a solution to me as in Oregon you can "hunt" the ditches. It is quite probable that your ID is correct. Looking at  the collection site I'd say mystery solved. BTW Log trucks use this road at 55 MPH, it is a thrill to collect here:)   Thank you.

20210311_113403.jpg

Edited by OregonFossil
Added site image

If you find any others still stuck in their paint matrix, then you'll have that ID confirmed. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, digit said:

If you find any others still stuck in their paint matrix, then you'll have that ID confirmed. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken:

I think you are right, after checking the size of the commercial glass beads used in safety lines, this item is much smaller in size (as I said you can only see a very small white spot with a bright light (smaller than I could measure except on screen).

Ken:

The  Willamette Meteorite fell to earth about 40 MY ago, no crater ever found. Given that the Oregon stripping paints and the glass balls they used a while ago are significantly bigger than my specimen, I believe your are correct.  Pittsburg Bluff formation ranges in age from 28 to 33 my. I am pretty sure of what this is. I will try and pass it on to the professor in the article and see what he says.

Keep in mind that I've found a wide range of sizes in the reflective spheres. They are likely produced with a spray method resulting in a range of sizes. I'm guessing they are run through classifying sifters to tighten-up the size ranges for various commercial purposes. The ones from my creek range in size at least 4X from the largest down to the smallest.

Most unprotected tektites degrade into clay like particles over time and I suspect a meteorite impart 40 Ma might have any tektites produced eroded by now. The novelty in the linked paper is that they were preserved from being degraded by being protected in mollusk shells which limited water permeation.

Always best to rule out human origination before proposing something more rare like tektites.

Cheers.

-Ken

Yep, but since this was found in a full marine environment with lots of shells in the matrix I'm holding out hope. Have contracted the Dr. in the article to see what he thinks.