This is another from my backyard treasure chest!

TinySpiderMonkeyNinja

I love my backyard, I don' love being clueless as to where the previous owners purchased the rocks from. I am fairly positive that they are a mixture of at least two different styles, one of which I know is a river or lake mixture. (I was able to get one person on another forum to tell me they look like possibly Michigan Lakes stones) What I did not know, is that coral and sponge could be found in fresh water sources, any body an expert in this sector? Or if you have any opinions on the Lake Michigan suggestion, please let me know what you think.  When I am more familiar with the different forums and navigation of everything, I will make sure to post the ones that I have been assured are coral specimens. 

6568A4CA-D4E6-4ED9-B540-A5D1324D822A.jpeg

BFE31F35-12FC-4A84-B27B-4BD040F3A49E.jpeg

6DA7D6C5-4B7D-408E-9B62-7CF75632AA6E.jpeg

0EDBA19D-346B-47DE-8BCA-3E9807F96F25.jpeg

36CA7FC4-718E-46B9-90C1-822A289F15E1.jpeg

4A65EB55-F04E-42DA-B39D-4F6AF944EF84.jpeg

257ABF27-9AD6-43B5-8B2F-42E15C87989F.jpeg

Edited by TinySpiderMonkeyNinja
I forgot to add the pictures of the specimen.

9 minutes ago, TinySpiderMonkeyNinja said:

What I did not know, is that coral and sponge could be found in fresh water sources, any body an expert in this sector?

No fresh water corals exist. Freshwater sponges exist, but fossils are either really rare or do not exist. Fossils of sponges and corals can be found anywhere including the Great Lakes. That does not mean that they are “fresh water” fossils.

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

No fresh water corals. Freshwater sponges exist, but fossils are either really rare or do not exist. Fossils of sponges and corals can be found anywhere including the Great Lakes.

Thank you for the confirmation, I didn't think corals could survive fresh water, but since I am fresher at this fossil fun, than any of the fresh water zones here in Missouri, lol, I wanted a second opinion. So I think then it is very safe to say, if one of the rock types they used in my yard is river and lake stones, there must be a mix of saltwater stones and such thrown in too, and by some I mean a lot!  I know by the pool pump where they had sand piled all over from the filter, there are a few hand fulls of random seashells but they are not anywhere else. 

It is likely most of the rocks that occur in your area have a marine origin as where you are situated would have been underwater/open marine until about the Cenozoic. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

:yay-smiley-1: thank you for this comment, because I just read that while trying to figure out why I have ocean fossils in my Missouri back yard, and you just made me feel more secure about the information i just read! I hate trying to play the guessing game for what i find on the net. Constantly being torn between real and fabricated blogs or studies and research. It is refreshing to have knowledgable folk who are truly interested In helping someone like myself to learn  and understand this type of information, is refreshing. It is honestly humiliating to spend hours upon hours researching pictures and blogs, and studies.. only to find out later when you try to use the information found to be wrong or only half the truth.  Part of the reason that I have joined other communities for rocks and fossils, but stayed dormant and left without even a post. I watch and get a feel for those with true, honest, knowledge and good mannerisms to go with. Thank you much for speaking up, so what would you consider the item I posted above to be? 

It looks like a bioeroded marine rock, to me.

• Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library