Unknown Ocala Limestone Echinoderms. Sacha, this one is for you!

minnbuckeye

Last week, I had the opportunity to explore a pile of gravel deposited along a road just north of Tampa, Florida. Echinoderms of many types were found weathered out. Some I have IDs on but others perplex me. The condition of many may make identification improbable. But who knows!! @Sacha, unfortunately, this road experience was not nearly as nice as my trip with you. But I feel my finds are of a similar nature. 

The first one is moderate in size, fairly round and is thick. Agassizia floridana?????

Collages-001.thumb.jpg.27cbf42836a05664a3ba82a90e33ebd7.jpg

The second I am sure is Eupatagus antillarum.

A-bath-001.thumb.jpg.18eb53cca1c3f84fb750dba8a98ce6f0.jpg

The third I am confident is Durhamella ocalana.

A-bath2-001.thumb.jpg.d41b57bb427658f58ac882d81569ef27.jpg

The 4th and 5th have stars. Neolaganum durhami is my guess. The stars are different between the two, the fifth one being raised significantly more than the fourth. So maybe 2 different species???

A-bath3-001.thumb.jpg.5055dba6c777b960caae6d0b6ad22ea8.jpg

The sixth, seventh and eighth are totally unknowns. Number 8 has a definitive star and is quite small.

A-bath4-001.thumb.jpg.cf61580f9c56f8a57c5b55f1dd81d20a.jpg

Nine and 10 also are total unknowns. Both are very small.

A-bath1-002.thumb.jpg.d918e6d17de674765e4d48f0eccf1cba.jpg

Edited by minnbuckeye
  • Enjoyed 1

• minnbuckeye changed the title to Unknown Ocala Limestone Echinoderms. Sacha, this one is for you!

@minnbuckeye Mike you really hit the jackpot for a pile of fill. I think I can help with a couple of them, but by now you are as experienced as me. Lets go by the numbers. My ID's are based on my guess that this pile is Lower Ocala Limestone based on the mix of echinoids.

1) My ID is Rhyncholampas ericsoni

2) Agree E. antilarium

3) Agree D. ocalana

4) Try Weisbodella cubae

5) I don't have an ID for this one. Thicker than I'm familiar with, but could just be a variation.

6) Neolaganum durhami

7) Too beat up to tell.

8) Oligopygus haldemani

9) Also looks like O. haldemani but not sure from the photo.

10) I can't hazard a guess.

That's my put but take it with a grain of salt. Small sand dollars especially all look alike to me.