starting to look for micro fossils in sediment from the Keasy & Pittsburg Bluff Formation, Questions...

OregonFossil

I've just got "microfossils, second edition" by Armstrong & Brasier to start my education. Additionally, I've added a AMscope 150 (got it for $4.95 plus shipping from Goodwill:)) to my AMscope 3.5-90X stereo scope - both output to a 50" HD 4K TV. I realized that I am toss left over matrix that because it is from marine environments might have micro fossils in it.

The stereo scope is very good from using the .5 and standard (1) mag's, very clear on the TV using a 5 mb camera with/without stacking images. I tried the 150 yesterday and feel comfortable with the 4 and 10 x objects. The 40x objective make a single grain (pretty clear) about 12" on the screen (I've made a spread sheet that calculate the magnification for each scope and setup), not that useful.

I find mention of micro fossils in this formations but only mentions, not here are the species lists. So I don't know what to look for nor do I know what the specimens should look like (thus the book to get started with education). Pittsburg Bluff is around 28-32 MY, and Keasy 34-40my (Keasy overlays the Pittsburg). Any references/resources on micro fossils in these formations? What should I be looking for in your bests guess?

Here are a couple sample images: #1 is from the 150, #2 the Stereo scope. Any ideas?

1st150C.jpg

Cryptonatica pittsburgensis-017.jpg

1 hour ago, Myrmica said:

I wonder if number 2 is crustacean exoskeleton; maybe a piece of claw?

That was my first image, and somehow it was so small and light it disappeared when I went back for a better image. I was very small, less than 2mm. But having seen it, those white specs are actually protrusions so you might be right. This specific formation was shallow and in some area beach like.