1st of 4 Bones

Shellseeker

When hunting, I usually have numerous bones which I am unsure about identification. Depending on how much time I have , more of these bones get posted.  I have 4 in the same location.  

I thought this might be a hoof core of a really huge animal. but the only possibilities seem to be Eremotherium and Gomphotheres.  I know Mastodon does NOT have foot bones like this....

Maybe it in not a foot_bone...

Here is something similar in size....

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/huge-mammoth-mastodon-fossil-toe-ankle-bone

IMG_4951.JPEG

IMG_4952.JPEG

IMG_4953.JPEG

IMG_4954.JPEG

IMG_4955.JPEG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

47 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

My impression is of a large sesamoid -- more specifically, a patella from a mastodon or mammoth.  Just a guess, really.

Thanks Harry,   I am really scratching my head on this one.  Gives me a direction to follow... tomorrow morning.. 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

In a couple of pictures it reminds me of a large vertebra centrum.  Not sure the rest of the pictures really bear that out though.

Edited by Brandy Cole
Spelling

Maybe  @digit has a view.  He has been playing with those Gomphothere bones at Montbrook....

From this thread,  I got a photo of a Mammoth/Gomphotheresacrum

I isolated the sacrum

Sacrum1.jpg.bde5c9dc34b12ba204c92b5b99dd43b1.jpg

Now , if you break at the weak points,  would it look like this?

IMG_4952ce.thumb.jpg.ca422dd7afd380e52e1985796d7ee422.jpg

I will be looking for more photos of an Eremotherium sacrum, for comparison... @Brandy Cole

• I found this Informative 1

Still updating the small bits as I find them:  On the left is " Mammuthus-meridionalis-partial-sacrum-vertebra-354Mammuthus meridionalis, or the southern mammoth, is an extinct species of mammoth native to Europe and Central Asia from the Gelasian stage of the Early Pleistocene, living from 2.5–0.8 mya.  Getting closer,  now if @digit has access to a Gomph sacrum from Montbrook....  :fingerscrossed:

Mammuthus-meridionalis-partial-sacrum-vertebra-354sbys.thumb.jpg.d030ae3fa44b00a97e69246f2aa2a53b.jpg

To my knowledge I do not believe we have any gomphothere fossil material that includes the sacral region. I'll try to remember to check with Richard Hulbert as I'll see him this morning at the Montbrook site.

Cheers.

-Ken

52 minutes ago, digit said:

To my knowledge I do not believe we have any gomphothere fossil material that includes the sacral region. I'll try to remember to check with Richard Hulbert as I'll see him this morning at the Montbrook site. Cheers.

-Ken

A day at Montbrook... It will be breezy and cool for Florida... Enjoy

I did get a response from Richard on this one.

It is a fragment of bone from a proboscidean limb, perhaps a condyle from the distal end of a juvenile femur or humerus. By itself not diagnostic to the family level, so could be gomphothere, mammoth, or mastodon.

Richard