Uraeus0291

This pendant was purchased from a fossil seller in Florida where it was found. Was purchased as an Angustiden, but I am just curious if that ID is correct. To me, the cusps look small and the main body is too wide to be an Angustiden, but I am no expert! Appropriate 2 1/4” in length. Any help is appreciated! 

50E391E0-9D4F-4816-BC09-DBDB2A9639BA.jpeg

16FB0E3F-6F1E-4485-B6C4-13A5BB6BA76E.jpeg

DC7DCC84-BC30-4E14-8EE8-56CB91DE5441.jpeg

This is not an easy question to answer and I am by no means an expert on the subject. This topic can be a help to you hopefully, although you still may not be able to come up with a definite answer, since, as Harry Pristis states in the topic, an exact stratigraphic determination for the tooth would be necessary in order to come to a reliable conclusion. You would therefore need to ask the seller if he might have this information for you.

• Thank You 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thank you! I will ask and see what they say. I know that the Angustiden and Chubutensis are transitional species and it could be anything in between the two of them. Thanks for your insight!

Note that it's spelled "angustidens" -- as a trivial name, it would not be capitalized (as in Carcharocles angustidens or C. chubutensis).  Writing informally, as done here, the capitalization just looks odd.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Noted! As I said, no expert here, only a fan of proper English and capitalizing nouns ;)