Theropod tooth - Kem Kem

Jurassicz1

I got this nice theropod tooth awhile ago. And got a few questions. 

20220316_123039.thumb.jpg.dc1828782dc129693b27fc73cea7fd88.jpg20220316_123016.thumb.jpg.b6e882c6e8fc375f2982d253ae08a398.jpg

Is it restored? I don't think so but want be sure. And the label that came with it was "bahariya Formation - Kem Kem Beds, Taouz, Morocco".

But bahariya Formation is from Egypt? So was the label just wrong and its just from the Kem Kem?

Regards - Adriano

Edited by Jurassicz1

The tooth is most likely theropod indet., it doesn't look restored, and the label is wrong, kem kem is not in the bahariya fm.

:trex::brokebone: Enthusiastic Fossil Hunter bone_brokerev.pngtrexrev.png

Hi Adriano,

That is a really nice tooth you have, it looks to be in pretty good condition (clean enamel, in-tact serrations).  You are correct, Bahariya Formation is from Egypt, not from Morocco.  Specifically, the Kem Kem Beds relate to a group of similarly-aged fauna to that of the Bahariya Formation.  

Can you take a close-up image of the serrations on both sides and a cross-section image (looking down)?  It could help in identifying the tooth.

You are showing us just one side of the tooth need to see both to determine if its been restored.   What size is the tooth?   These teeth are from the formations of the Kem Kem Group and like the others have said the one you mention is not one of them

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

You are showing us just one side of the tooth need to see both to determine if its been restored.   What size is the tooth?   These teeth are from the formations of the Kem Kem Group and like the others have said the one you mention is not one of them

Sorry, here are some other pictures.  The tooth is around 3 cm, near 420220316_123052.thumb.jpg.9149f6f8fa81dafaa0fe4b68e796089b.jpg20220316_123101.thumb.jpg.d36efdf8eb8db41073c6465e6f448f55.jpg

Edited by Jurassicz1

5 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Hi Adriano,

That is a really nice tooth you have, it looks to be in pretty good condition (clean enamel, in-tact serrations).  You are correct, Bahariya Formation is from Egypt, not from Morocco.  Specifically, the Kem Kem Beds relate to a group of similarly-aged fauna to that of the Bahariya Formation.  

Can you take a close-up image of the serrations on both sides and a cross-section image (looking down)?  It could help in identifying the tooth.

Will do! I take these pictures in the sunlight in good weather. And has not been much good weather here in the past few days.

But will take a picture immediately when there is more sunlight.

Regards Adriano

Thanks, I dont see any resto or repair on the tooth.  I dont believe that the morphology of this tooth is currently described from the KK Group so its an indeterminate theropod which is very typical of teeth from this fauna

nice tooth! Looks like the real deal , no fabrications like others have said, with bite wear on the one side. nice coloring also 

• Thank You 1