3-D Printable Fossil Starfish?

JamieLynn

Sooo....wondering if any of you in the academic field might know if there is a 3D printer fossil starfish "program"? Not sure what they are called....template? File? Anyways, I have seen some but they are not specifically fossil starfish. I would like a fossil starfish, not a modern. Anyways, just thought I'd ask.....

I guess? I am looking for either a 3-D printed "object" that is from a fossil starfish or the program you "feed" into a 3d printer to print one. I have access to a 3d printer, but i am also happy to just buy the end product.....it just needs to be fossil and not modern. Does that make sense? 

Ah, I see what you are looking for, and I know where I can find this. I'll get back to you ASAP!

• Thank You 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

http://www.3d-fossils.ac.uk/fossilType.cfm?typSampleId=25001608

Here is the only decent quality file I can find within British collections.

full search query here

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Below are pics of the 3D printed rare starfish Kionaster petersonae from the Florida Miocene Chipola formation that I got from FLMNH.  Roger Portell, the collections director had it made and he might be able to help you.

Mike

IMG_2872.thumb.JPG.32d5fab4f0808c5784f5178fb1454907.JPG IMG_2873.thumb.JPG.b5c0a786c62e98e2b7324f2db9e62e81.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

14 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Is that a scan of one that you found?

No, this is a 3D print of the type found by Carol Peterson.  They are rare, only three listings in the FLMNH IP database and extremely fragile.  Roger Portell told me that it cost around $12,000 to have it prepped.  I do have ossicles from the Chipola which could be from this species.  I have contemplated painting the print the color of actual specimen below.

Kionaster.jpg.32996e8c4e5431f9aca50e7d30816ec0.jpg

Edited by MikeR

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

54 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

@MikeR -that would PERFECT... may I use you as a reference? If so...what is your real name? :)

Reagin

• I found this Informative 1

image.thumb.png.70322817cddeaa4b8b8388bef1690946.png

Attached is the photo of the 3d model I sent previously, a scan of a Asteropecten cotteswoldii var. stamfordensis in the collection of Bath Royal Literary and Scientific Institution.

• Enjoyed 1

Or, rendered at 4k resolution:

If you'd like, I could help you with getting the file ready for printing, if you are unsure of how to do it @JamieLynn!

render.png

@IsaacTheFossilMan - my sister is the one with the 3-D printer so I sent her the link to the page and she tried it, but it didn't come out right. It printed as just a grid with some texture. Not sure what happened. She is working on it and will perhaps get it figured out. I'll let you know if it doesn't work. 

• Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 11:35 PM, JamieLynn said:

@IsaacTheFossilMan - my sister is the one with the 3-D printer so I sent her the link to the page and she tried it, but it didn't come out right. It printed as just a grid with some texture. Not sure what happened. She is working on it and will perhaps get it figured out. I'll let you know if it doesn't work. 

Weird... For sure, just send me a message! :)