[Burmite Amber Inclusion] Mantispidae Very Rare Mantid Lacewing Manstisfly !

vermiculosis

Hello from the amber cave.

This time i'd like to show super detailed very rare Mantispidae from burmite amber ( Cretaceous Era ). I love Neuroptera in general but this one is just spectacular !

Better quality picture ------>   https://ibb.co/fDKQWq6

Enjoy and cheers !

Artur

154808927_7323AmazingMantispidaeburmite.jpg

560862636_7323MantispidaeMantisfly.jpg

• Enjoyed 11

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah, that's a jewel.  Used to see a relative the Dobsonfly while fishing in PA.

Spectacular specimen. If I may, the reason why the Mantispidae are noteworthy is that they have raptorial forelimbs, reminiscent of the praying mantises, family Mantidae, which have belonged to a completely separate order (historically Blattodea, now Mantodea (https://www.gbif.org/species/9383)). The Mantispidae belong to order Neuroptera. Their raptorial forelimbs are an example of convergent evolution- organisms from different lineages that have independently evolved similar characteristics. Interestingly, the Neuroptera seem to excel at this. There are the Kalligrammatidae, which are also lacewings, but have independently evolved a shape that looks almost identical to modern day butterflies (order Lepidoptera). This is very unique, we don't see orders crossing over adaptations between different orders as the Neuroptera are able to. If I may ask a rhetorical question, what is it about the Neuroptera that allows them to evolve such characteristics of convergent evolution? A topic worthy of further investigation.  

On 4/13/2022 at 6:54 PM, Crusty_Crab said:

Spectacular specimen. If I may, the reason why the Mantispidae are noteworthy is that they have raptorial forelimbs, reminiscent of the praying mantises, family Mantidae, which have belonged to a completely separate order (historically Blattodea, now Mantodea (https://www.gbif.org/species/9383)). The Mantispidae belong to order Neuroptera. Their raptorial forelimbs are an example of convergent evolution- organisms from different lineages that have independently evolved similar characteristics. Interestingly, the Neuroptera seem to excel at this. There are the Kalligrammatidae, which are also lacewings, but have independently evolved a shape that looks almost identical to modern day butterflies (order Lepidoptera). This is very unique, we don't see orders crossing over adaptations between different orders as the Neuroptera are able to. If I may ask a rhetorical question, what is it about the Neuroptera that allows them to evolve such characteristics of convergent evolution? A topic worthy of further investigation.  

Hi and thanks for the super comment.
I can see that you have extensive knowledge on this topic.
I too have read up and that is why I am looking for good Mantispidae. I am looking in Burmese because in Baltic amber it is an extreme rarity ( of those true rarities ). I saw one once, in very bad condition, and it sold for a fortune.
I think this one is beautifully laid out "under the scientists", you can see perfectly almost every cell on the wings and other important details on both sides.
To the fact that they are a phenomenon, there is also their photogenicity - for me as a photographer (amateur but always) it is very important.

Cheers from amber cave !

Artur

Great photo.  I love it when someone posts a great picture here with a link to an even better photo.  Wow!