Show Us Your Bryozoans

pleecan

2yrs ago While excavating and rebuilding the boat house at the cottage at Lock 7 on the Trent River.... area is rich ordovician rock full of bryozoans... that is Giant Bryozoans... attached is fossil plate with 2.5" diameter Bryozoan....

http://www.turnstone.ca/bryozoan.htm

post-2446-12693897460315_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12693898714477_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12693899023251_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12693899261215_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12693900530103_thumb.jpg

Those are unique. Have never seen any like those before...

They are shaped like echinoids..

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Roz:

These bryozoans are the biggest that I have ever seen in ordovician deposits.... may be unique to this particular area.

Peter

Peter: Those Prasopora (I assume) do get quite a bit larger. I'll post some pics when I get home this evening

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

OK, here are some pics. Identifications may be off, as the only way to truly ID bryozoans is to thin-section them and view under a microscope. I don't want to damage my pieces, so bear with me.

1) Prasopora simulatrix- just under 3" wide

2) Prasopora or possibly Mesotryps- 3 1/4" wide

3) Prasopora with negative of Hormotoma gastropod on bottom

4) Large sheet-like bryozoan (Athrophragma?)

post-77-12694754762633_thumb.jpg

post-77-12694755035314_thumb.jpg

post-77-12694755309293_thumb.jpg

post-77-12694755631661_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

5) Mesh-like Stictoporellina

6) Branch-like Homotrypa

7) Another Homotrypa

8) Mystery from Beamsville ON

post-77-12694757466842_thumb.jpg

post-77-12694757768574_thumb.jpg

post-77-12694758102897_thumb.jpg

post-77-12694758426861_thumb.jpg

My babies:

9) VERY rare Constellaria

10) Plate of a couple of dozen Prasopora, largest about 2 1/4" wide. Sorry about the background, I lost the original pic I had.

post-77-12694761985038_thumb.jpg

post-77-12694762304652_thumb.jpg

My babies:

9) VERY rare Constellaria

10) Plate of a couple of dozen Prasopora, largest about 2 1/4" wide. Sorry about the background, I lost the original pic I had.

Now that is a prized lot!

Very nice Kevin.

Peter

Thanks for the compliments. I should add that the mystery piece is Silurian (Lockport Fm.) and the rest are Ordovician. The Athrophagma is Bobcaygeon Fm. and all others are Verulam Fm.

I just found this about 2 days ago. It is the only bryozoan that I've seen that has agatized. It has several different colors, and is also larger, more detailed, and more "3-D" compared to similar bryozoans I've found. It looks to me like there may be more than one species here, but I don't know anything about bryozoans, so and input to that would be greatly appreciated ;) But it still has dirt and whatnot on it, and I was in low light at the time so I had to use a very small F-stop (shallow depth of field), so the pic isn't the greatest.

One thing that is particularly intriguing for me is in the edges of the rock... I'm convinced it was a geode at some point before being broken up. I'm going to have to scour the area looking for other pieces of it at some point ;) In the past, I've had pretty good luck finding missing pieces (about 50%), but this will be a challenge as it was found on the side of a hill, and near where some apparent digging was done.

For size reference, the "base" of the largest bryozoan, where it is broken, is approx 25 mm wide. To the best of my knowledge, it is Mississippian (Carboniferous).

post-2887-12696281297065_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wakaritai

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wakaritai, PL and Northern Sharks, neat finds/interesting specimens you've posted..thanks.

I think alot of us tend to not pick up these little guys when we see them or sometimes overlook them in search of different larger material, but they are really kind of neat. I regret having done that in the past so the only ones that I can really show you now are several tiny unidentified specimens within a brachiopod block that I have.

Someday I hope to get this 8 inch/20cm block fully prepped as there are all kinds of interesting fragments of different invertebratespost-1240-12697051134621_thumb.jpg

within. Some of the bryozoans and what I believe is part of a trilobite are pyritized.

The details:

Dalmanella meeki

Waynesville Formation

Ordovician

St. Leon, Indiana

Some closeups...that need a little sharper focus....my eyes aint what they used to be..but, I keep trying!

post-1240-12697044055182_thumb.jpgpost-1240-12697044563798_thumb.jpg

Regards, Chris

Thanks Chris, Wakaritai, and Northern Sharks for taking the time and posting your bryozoan pics.

Peter

Here's a chunk of stream gravel that I picked up in Sugar Creek in Eastern Indiana. I was just getting interested in fossils at the time, and thought this fossil was cool as heck.

I had a local lapidary cut a cabochon from the piece for my wife, then I had him polish the cut face for me. The zooids are so small, the cab didn't make much of a conversation piece.

There are a number of possible IDs for this bryozoan; but, I don't know which to call it. The stream gravel certainly contained a mix of Paleozoic forms, both native to Indiana and exotic glacial erratics. The zooarium is flattish, not obviously branching, and it is stream-rounded to some degree.

If you have an opinion, I'd like to hear it.

post-42-12697179121003_thumb.jpgpost-42-1269717936547_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Plantguy, that is a nice piece. I take it that that piece is more concentrated than most other pieces in the area? Are those tyes of concentrations pretty much random, or are there known reasons for areas like that? Are they isolated pieces or layers? (sorry for all the questions ;) )

Harry Pristis, nice find, and nice work on it as well. In fact you've piqued my interest in maybe having some of that done... What did it cost to get that done? Any good places to search for local lapidaries?

. . .

Harry Pristis, nice find, and nice work on it as well. In fact you've piqued my interest in maybe having some of that done... What did it cost to get that done? Any good places to search for local lapidaries?

Glad you like the specimen. For a lapidary, check with your public library (the "reference librarian") for local rockhound groups. Negotiate your deal within your budget -- lapidaries don't usually do this for monetary reasons so I am aware of no rate schedule. You might trade the work for a sample of your material. Let us hear how it works for you.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Hy to everyone,

Usually when hiking to dig fossil ,I never collect briozoan...............but...... :):)

This specimen (still clean), but almost 90% complete was a lucky meeting, comes from sands of the lower Pliocene, but I absolutely do not know its systematic identification, maybe it's family Reteporidae

what think about?

post-1229-12699606465559_thumb.jpg

post-1229-12699606685292_thumb.jpg

Edited by bubonius

• 2 weeks later...